Old 02-05-2018, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Runner beans - sown direct - which way up?

When runner bean seeds are pushed into the soil does it matter which way
up they go?

I guess that in nature they might fall flat on the ground, but some say
they should be on edge with the "eye" down.

Any knowledge of this?
Or - what do you do - and how well does it work?
Any controlled experiments?
--
Chris
Old 02-05-2018, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/05/2018 19:56, Chris wrote:
When runner bean seeds are pushed into the soil does it matter which way
up they go?

I guess that in nature they might fall flat on the ground, but some say
they should be on edge with the "eye" down.

Any knowledge of this?
Or - what do you do - and how well does it work?
Any controlled experiments?

You can do your own experiment just need 4 beans, we did that when I was
in school over 60 years ago, or if you have children then get them involved.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 2 May 2018 19:56:42 +0100, Chris ] posted:

When runner bean seeds are pushed into the soil does it matter which way
up they go?

I guess that in nature they might fall flat on the ground, but some say
they should be on edge with the "eye" down.

Any knowledge of this?
Or - what do you do - and how well does it work?
Any controlled experiments?

I did my beans a few weeks ago and as it happens searched the internet
for the answer to that question but could not find a definitive answer
either.

So I planted them upright, so with the eye to the side. I planted them
in toilet rolls, in an unheated conservatory, and during that warm snap
they grew huge so they are already outside in pots growing up bamboo
canes.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 02 May 2018 19:56:42 +0100, Chris wrote:

When runner bean seeds are pushed into the soil does it matter which way
up they go?

I guess that in nature they might fall flat on the ground, but some say
they should be on edge with the "eye" down.

Any knowledge of this?
Or - what do you do - and how well does it work?
Any controlled experiments?

Long, long time ago but IIRC there is a right and a wrong way up - roots
come out of one side of the scar and the stem out of the other.

Planting the vertically means that you get either the best or worst
orientation.

Logically, lying on their side seem to give the best change of root and
shoot to grow in the proper direction and also matches the orientation
when dropped from the pod (probably).

Scar down would favour the root, scar up would favour the stem.

As already mentioned, starting them off before planting should tell you
which way is up.

In the great scheme of things, plants are resilient so I suspect it may
not make much difference.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old 03-05-2018, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/05/2018 13:47, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Wed, 2 May 2018 19:56:42 +0100, Chris ] wrote:

When runner bean seeds are pushed into the soil does it matter which way
up they go?

I guess that in nature they might fall flat on the ground, but some say
they should be on edge with the "eye" down.

Any knowledge of this?
Or - what do you do - and how well does it work?
Any controlled experiments?

Not a veg grower, and certainly not runner beans, but I really can't
believe it makes a ha'porth of difference which way up you plant it.
The bean will sprout, and the shoots will turn in whichever way that
they evolved to do, root downwards, stem upwards.

They know which way to grow!

Positive phototropism
Stem tip grows towards light To get maximum light for photosynthesis

Positive geotropism
Root tip grows towards gravity More chance of finding moisture

Old 03-05-2018, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 03 May 2018 13:47:00 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Wed, 2 May 2018 19:56:42 +0100, Chris ] wrote:

When runner bean seeds are pushed into the soil does it matter which way
up they go?

I guess that in nature they might fall flat on the ground, but some say
they should be on edge with the "eye" down.

Any knowledge of this?
Or - what do you do - and how well does it work?
Any controlled experiments?

Not a veg grower, and certainly not runner beans, but I really can't
believe it makes a ha'porth of difference which way up you plant it.
The bean will sprout, and the shoots will turn in whichever way that
they evolved to do, root downwards, stem upwards.

They know which way to grow!

There's always someone who spoils a daft question with a sensible answer
:-)

--
Jim S
Old 05-05-2018, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris Hogg wrote:

Positive phototropism
Stem tip grows towards light To get maximum light for photosynthesis

Ah, but when an inch or so underground and in the dark, how does it
know where the light is? :-)

Negative geotreopism.

Peter