GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Nicotiana - bit OT (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/215370-nicotiana-bit-ot.html)

David[_24_] 07-05-2018 12:18 PM

Nicotiana - bit OT

Decades ago I remember Nicotiana as tall plants good for a shady corner at
the bottom of the garden where the bottom (N facing) and side (E facing)
met.

Tall, architectural plants and a wonderful scent in the evening.

These days most Nicotiana seem to be dwarf growing F1 hybrids with no
scent at all.

Apart from growing from seed, has anyone found these (e.g N.alata
Grandiflora) in any common or garden(!) garden centre?

Cheers

Dave R

---

[email protected] 07-05-2018 02:17 PM

Nicotiana - bit OT

On Monday, 7 May 2018 12:18:20 UTC+1, David wrote:
Decades ago I remember Nicotiana as tall plants good for a shady corner at
the bottom of the garden where the bottom (N facing) and side (E facing)
met.

Tall, architectural plants and a wonderful scent in the evening.

These days most Nicotiana seem to be dwarf growing F1 hybrids with no
scent at all.

Apart from growing from seed, has anyone found these (e.g N.alata
Grandiflora) in any common or garden(!) garden centre?

Cheers

Dave R

---

Its dead easy to grow from seed.

Jonathan

David[_24_] 07-05-2018 03:25 PM

Nicotiana - bit OT

On Mon, 07 May 2018 06:17:52 -0700, wardjfb wrote:

On Monday, 7 May 2018 12:18:20 UTC+1, David wrote:
Decades ago I remember Nicotiana as tall plants good for a shady corner
at the bottom of the garden where the bottom (N facing) and side (E
facing) met.

Tall, architectural plants and a wonderful scent in the evening.

These days most Nicotiana seem to be dwarf growing F1 hybrids with no
scent at all.

Apart from growing from seed, has anyone found these (e.g N.alata
Grandiflora) in any common or garden(!) garden centre?

Cheers

Dave R

---

Its dead easy to grow from seed.

Jonathan

I refer the poster to my original question.

Cheers

Dave R

Martin Brown[_2_] 09-05-2018 09:36 AM

Nicotiana - bit OT

On 07/05/2018 12:18, David wrote:
Decades ago I remember Nicotiana as tall plants good for a shady corner at
the bottom of the garden where the bottom (N facing) and side (E facing)
met.

Tall, architectural plants and a wonderful scent in the evening.

These days most Nicotiana seem to be dwarf growing F1 hybrids with no
scent at all.

Apart from growing from seed, has anyone found these (e.g N.alata
Grandiflora) in any common or garden(!) garden centre?

Apparently there is no demand. They are easy enough to grow from seed
though and Chiltern have a decent selection of fragrant species.

https://www.chilternseeds.co.uk/search?q=nicotiana

They seem to have lost the fragrance in a effort to get compact and
coloured bedding plants amenable to garden centre plant plug sales.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Andy Burns[_7_] 09-05-2018 01:44 PM

Nicotiana - bit OT

Martin Brown wrote:

Apparently there is no demand

I noticed Mr Fothergill selling foot tall plug plants ...

David[_24_] 10-05-2018 10:27 AM

Nicotiana - bit OT

On Wed, 09 May 2018 13:44:21 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Martin Brown wrote:

Apparently there is no demand

I noticed Mr Fothergill selling foot tall plug plants ...

Found some in a local nursery.

Mainly, I remember a time when everyone stocked them, though mainly the F1
hybrids without scent.

They said that they were very popular.

I assume other outlets are on the traditional "You're the fourth person to
ask for them today. We don't stock them because there's no demand."

Cheers

Dave R

---