Old 08-05-2018, 11:09 PM
Registered User

Location: County Kerry, Ireland
Default Identify plants please

Hello, I sowed seeds called Rudbeckia Brilliant Star and ones called Echinacea purple. They are now ready to be potted on and I notice that the leaves are identical. Are these two different plants or the same. Help appreciated.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/05/2018 23:09, kerrygirl wrote:
Rudbeckia Brilliant Star

They are very closely related, both known as cone flowers, very hard to
tell apart till they are in flower.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/05/18 23:09, kerrygirl wrote:
Hello, I sowed seeds called Rudbeckia Brilliant Star and ones called
Echinacea purple. They are now ready to be potted on and I notice that
the leaves are identical. Are these two different plants or the same.
Help appreciated.

If you want to look them up, I think you will find that the second is
actually Echinacea purpurea. But as David said, until they flower they
are not easy to tell apart.

--

Jeff
Old 09-05-2018, 10:36 AM
Registered User

Location: County Kerry, Ireland

Thanks David and Jeff, yes it makes sense as the leaves are identical.