Old 10-05-2018, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fuchsita?

As someone who has over a dozen different hardy fuchsias in my garden, pots
and baskets, I was taken abach to find something called a FUCHSITA in a
local garden nursery.
Is this a different plant or a variety?
Take your eye off the ball for a minute.....
--
Jim S
Old 10-05-2018, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

https://www.yougarden.com/item-p-400...chsia-fuchsita

Old 11-05-2018, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jim S wrote:
As someone who has over a dozen different hardy fuchsias in my garden, pots
and baskets, I was taken abach to find something called a FUCHSITA in a
local garden nursery.
Is this a different plant or a variety?
Take your eye off the ball for a minute.....

'-ita' might be a diminutive, like Rosita (which I guess is 'little
rose') or Conchita (one meaning of which is 'little shell'). By this
(possibly flawed :-)) logic, Fuchsita would mean 'little Fuchsia'.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 10 May 2018 20:33:17 +0100, Jim S wrote:

As someone who has over a dozen different hardy fuchsias in my garden, pots
and baskets,

Nice to see someone else growing a good number of Hardies, I have
about 40 different, last few years have gone from soft late summer
cuttings to hardwood cuttings, getting better results, (and darn sight
easier ) was wondering if you did the same?.

Derek
Old 12-05-2018, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 12 May 2018 16:17:50 +0100, Derek wrote:

On Thu, 10 May 2018 20:33:17 +0100, Jim S wrote:

As someone who has over a dozen different hardy fuchsias in my garden, pots
and baskets,

Nice to see someone else growing a good number of Hardies, I have
about 40 different, last few years have gone from soft late summer
cuttings to hardwood cuttings, getting better results, (and darn sight
easier ) was wondering if you did the same?.

Derek

Not had the need to take cuttings for years. Usually I just cut down to a
few inches, even in hanging baskets. I'm on Tyneside and cannot remember
the last time I lost one. Indeed the blue/white one can grow to 4ft in a
season. Love Genii for the yellow leaves.
--
Jim S

Old 13-05-2018, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12 May 2018 16:17, Derek wrote:
On Thu, 10 May 2018 20:33:17 +0100, Jim S wrote:

As someone who has over a dozen different hardy fuchsias in my

garden, pots
and baskets,

Nice to see someone else growing a good number of Hardies, I have
about 40 different, last few years have gone from soft late summer
cuttings to hardwood cuttings, getting better results, (and darn sight
easier ) was wondering if you did the same?.

Some years ago I bought a number at the RHS Wisley Flower Show, not one
survived the first winter which wasn't a bad one. Never tried again
with hardy ones yet a couple of "tender" ones survived last winter OK.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
Old 13-05-2018, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On a matter of pronunciation ...

We pronounce "fuchsia" as "fewsha" even though it was named after a
German botanist, a certain Leonhart Fuchs ("fooks").

So how do people pronounce "fuchsita"?

Personally I love fuchsias and was fascinated by them as a child, but I
haven't had any in my garden for years. Perhaps its time I did something
about it.

David

Old 14-05-2018, 01:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 13 May 2018 21:38:03 +0100, David Rance wrote:

On a matter of pronunciation ...

We pronounce "fuchsia" as "fewsha" even though it was named after a
German botanist, a certain Leonhart Fuchs ("fooks").

So how do people pronounce "fuchsita"?

Personally I love fuchsias and was fascinated by them as a child, but I
haven't had any in my garden for years. Perhaps its time I did something
about it.

David

Go on then. It's a gift that goes on giving. There are enough hardys around
that the supermarkets are doing them in packs. True they flower late, but
by then all your half-hardys are going to seed and they run on to the first
frost. I started these in Devon many years ago and dug them up and
re-planted here on the NE coast. I really ought to take some cuttings, but
really cn't be bothered. If it works - don't fix it!
--
Jim S
Old 14-05-2018, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Indeed the blue/white one can grow to 4ft in a
season. Love Genii for the yellow leaves.

Delta Sarah

Old 14-05-2018, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 13 May 2018 18:16:09 +0100, Bob Hobden
wrote:

Some years ago I bought a number at the RHS Wisley Flower Show, not one
survived the first winter which wasn't a bad one. Never tried again
with hardy ones yet a couple of "tender" ones survived last winter OK.

Need to be planted very deep, half the bottom folige, buried is not
too deep.

I have had a tender one in the gaden now for over ten years, but
heavily mulched every year

Old 14-05-2018, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 14 May 2018 04:05:24 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

You're lucky. Down in West Cornwall, and AIUI all along the south
coast of the UK, fuchsias are being ravaged by the fuchsia gall mite.
Mine certainly are. I'm just hoping the freeze-up due to the 'beast
from the east' saw a lot of it off.

Could do, last I heard the best thing to do is to cut down to a stub,
, burn infected folige and hope
Old 14-05-2018, 10:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On a matter of pronunciation ...

We pronounce "fuchsia" as "fewsha" even though it was named after a
German botanist, a certain Leonhart Fuchs ("fooks").

Yebbut...shouldn't the 'ch' in Fuchs be pronounced as in Achtung, with
that German guttural throaty sound that we don't have in English,
rather than with a hard 'k'? Or do you say Aktung? :-)

Only south of the border. It occurs in loch and similar words.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-05-2018, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Derek wrote in
:

wrote:

Some years ago I bought a number at the RHS Wisley Flower Show, not one
survived the first winter which wasn't a bad one. Never tried again
with hardy ones yet a couple of "tender" ones survived last winter OK.

Need to be planted very deep, half the bottom folige, buried is not
too deep.

I have had a tender one in the gaden now for over ten years, but
heavily mulched every year

AND never NEVER let them dry out, especially in tubs, baskets and as
houseplants!

--
Jim S
Old 14-05-2018, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 14 May 2018 00:07:54 Jim S wrote:

On Sun, 13 May 2018 21:38:03 +0100, David Rance wrote:

On a matter of pronunciation ...

We pronounce "fuchsia" as "fewsha" even though it was named after a
German botanist, a certain Leonhart Fuchs ("fooks").

So how do people pronounce "fuchsita"?

Personally I love fuchsias and was fascinated by them as a child, but I
haven't had any in my garden for years. Perhaps its time I did something
about it.

Go on then. It's a gift that goes on giving. There are enough hardys around
that the supermarkets are doing them in packs. True they flower late, but
by then all your half-hardys are going to seed and they run on to the first
frost. I started these in Devon many years ago and dug them up and
re-planted here on the NE coast. I really ought to take some cuttings, but
really cn't be bothered. If it works - don't fix it!

I last had fuchsias back in the 1970s when I was living near the south
coast. I had a fuchsia with small flowers in my previous house and I
took cuttings to my new house and established a low hedge of them around
a bay window. It looked very pretty. Then in 1980 I moved to Reading and
the cuttings I brought with me died and I haven't had one since!

David

Old 14-05-2018, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On a matter of pronunciation ...

We pronounce "fuchsia" as "fewsha" even though it was named after a
German botanist, a certain Leonhart Fuchs ("fooks").

Yebbut...shouldn't the 'ch' in Fuchs be pronounced as in Achtung, with
that German guttural throaty sound that we don't have in English,
rather than with a hard 'k'? Or do you say Aktung? :-)

The English pronunciation 'fewsha' is a nearer to fuchsia than is
'fooksia'!

No, it depends on the word. Fuchs (fox) is pronounced "fooks" but the
"ch" in "Achtung" is pronounced like the Scottish "loch". To be
pedantic, "fooks" has a shorter "oo" sound than in English.

David