Old 15-05-2018, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Too late to fertilize Autumn planted shallots?

First post after lurking for a couple of years.

I have some Autumn planted Giselle shallots that are looking a bit pale
compared with the other shallots, onions and garlic around them. I know that
they are supposed to bulb up in June or thereabouts, but I don't think they
are doing that yet. Is it too late in the season to water in a bit of quick
acting fertilizer at this point?

Mark Rand
Rugby
Warwickshire

Old 15-05-2018, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Mark Rand wrote:
First post after lurking for a couple of years.

Greetings.

I have some Autumn planted Giselle shallots that are looking a bit pale
compared with the other shallots, onions and garlic around them. I know that
they are supposed to bulb up in June or thereabouts, but I don't think they
are doing that yet. Is it too late in the season to water in a bit of quick
acting fertilizer at this point?

Dunno, but, if you have some Epsom salts, sprinkle that around them.
It may not help, but it often does, and it does no harm. Magnesium
is needed to make chlorophyll.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-05-2018, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/05/18 18:18, Mark Rand wrote:
First post after lurking for a couple of years.

I have some Autumn planted Giselle shallots that are looking a bit pale
compared with the other shallots, onions and garlic around them. I know that
they are supposed to bulb up in June or thereabouts, but I don't think they
are doing that yet. Is it too late in the season to water in a bit of quick
acting fertilizer at this point?

Mark Rand
Rugby
Warwickshire

Onions and shallots respond to a nitrate fertiliser. It was a late
spring so probably not too late to give your shallots a boost. Best to
use a liquid fertiliser rather than water in some granules.

Am I too late to prune autumn raspberries? [email protected] United Kingdom 10 21-04-2007 08:29 PM
How late is too late? ZeroWing North Carolina 3 20-06-2005 12:24 AM
How late is too late? FBCS Ponds 12 29-08-2003 01:04 AM
Help! Brown lawn. Too short, Too long, Too much water or Too lois Lawns 0 27-08-2003 03:24 AM