Old 16-05-2018, 12:47 PM
Registered User

Default Dying Laurel Hedge

I have a well established, large Laurel hedge that suddenly seems to be dying off.
I have googled it and it may be waterlogging, as we have had 'plenty' of rain recently. I can see no sign of infections of any kind.

Do you think it will recover or is it a 'gonner'?
Attached Thumbnails
Dying Laurel Hedge-014.jpg   Dying Laurel Hedge-015.jpg   Dying Laurel Hedge-017.jpg
Old 16-05-2018, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/05/2018 11:47, Ron6a wrote:
I have a well established, large Laurel hedge that suddenly seems to be
dying off.
I have googled it and it may be waterlogging, as we have had 'plenty' of
rain recently. I can see no sign of infections of any kind.

Do you think it will recover or is it a 'gonner'?

There still appear to be plenty of new green shoots from the main stems
which for the most part look healthy. It looks a bit like frost damage
or fireblight (except I don't think fireblight affects laurel).

|Filename: 014.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16652|
|Filename: 015.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16653|
|Filename: 017.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16654|

Even if it loses all top growth this year it might be worth seeing if
anything comes back from the roots next year. Unless someone can
positively identify the pathogen causing it then doing nothing and
waiting to see how things evolve may be the best bet.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 16-05-2018, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/05/2018 16:00, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Wed, 16 May 2018 15:01:23 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

[...]

+1

Cut out and burn the dead stuff, in case it's something that might
infect neighbouring plants, and wait and see. It might recover,
especially if it's just wind-burn due to the beast from the east.

Ditto the cut out and burn the dead bits but its not Laural its Acuba
and mine does this regularly but always comes back, its not weather
related and I don't think its water logging (at least not here) pretty
sure it fungal but as it always regrows quickly have never investigated
further

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall
Old 16-05-2018, 07:04 PM
Registered User

Oops! Yes, I can see its not laurel now. Thanks for the info.
Old 16-05-2018, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/05/2018 11:47, Ron6a wrote:
I have a well established, large Laurel hedge that suddenly seems to be
dying off.
I have googled it and it may be waterlogging, as we have had 'plenty' of
rain recently. I can see no sign of infections of any kind.

Do you think it will recover or is it a 'gonner'?

|Filename: 014.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16652|
|Filename: 015.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16653|
|Filename: 017.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16654|

If the 3rd picture is current then you have nothing to worry about, you
have lots of new growth coming, cut out the dead wood as low as you can,
as Charlie said it's not unusual for them to do that.
David@the sunny side of Swansea Bay

Old 16-05-2018, 10:46 PM
Registered User

Thanks. It is today's photo. So hope all is well and it will recover. There has been a great deal of rain and it is a very windy site here near the coast.