Old 17-05-2018, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Spacing vegetables

Now having very much smaller veggie plot, I'm in a quandary.

I have a number of veg plants to plant and am told the space
between rows (and plants), BUT I'll only have one row of each
veg, so if I have for example Peas @ 18", Sprouts @ 30",
Cabbage @ 24" and Beans 9" how should I approach spacing the
different rows. I have my own ideas, but am just wondering how
others do it?

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

---
https://www.avg.com

Old 18-05-2018, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Roger Tonkin wrote:
Now having very much smaller veggie plot, I'm in a quandary.

I have a number of veg plants to plant and am told the space
between rows (and plants), BUT I'll only have one row of each
veg, so if I have for example Peas @ 18", Sprouts @ 30",
Cabbage @ 24" and Beans 9" how should I approach spacing the
different rows. I have my own ideas, but am just wondering how
others do it?

I plant in multiple rows, e.g. double rows of carrots, 9" apart,
and triple rows of broad beans, 9" between two rows and one in
between, like this:

x x x x x ---

x x x x | 9"

x x x x x ---

Also, I grow climbing beans (Phaseolus) and cucumber, and have
grown climbing peas (but can't get climbing snap ones this year).
Actually, my bean cage is 24'x12'x6' high, and I string it across
the top as well as the sides, and grow squashed underneath. You
can do that on a less ambitious scale, too :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-05-2018, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

In article ,
Roger Tonkin wrote:
[...]

Yes I used to do similar, but the current question is what
spacing should I give between a row of peas (18" between rows)
and a row of sprouts next to them (30" between rows)!

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

---
https://www.avg.com

Old 18-05-2018, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Roger Tonkin wrote:

Yes I used to do similar, but the current question is what
spacing should I give between a row of peas (18" between rows)
and a row of sprouts next to them (30" between rows)!

As much as you need for access, for weeding, staking, picking etc.
Sprouts need 30" only if very vigorous - and, anyway, they don't
really get to full size before peas eaten green are gone. I use
18" regardless, but need to be careful what I put next to what,
to avoid one 'row' overpowering its neighbours.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old Today, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thursday, 17 May 2018 22:08:36 UTC+1, Roger Tonkin wrote:
Now having very much smaller veggie plot, I'm in a quandary.

I have a number of veg plants to plant and am told the space
between rows (and plants), BUT I'll only have one row of each
veg, so if I have for example Peas @ 18", Sprouts @ 30",
Cabbage @ 24" and Beans 9" how should I approach spacing the
different rows. I have my own ideas, but am just wondering how
others do it?

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

---
https://www.avg.com

OUP published an interesting book a few years ago, sadly now out of print. It suggested that the spacing on seed packets are based on industrial farming practices. In a smaller plot closer spacing can give a higher overall yield despite less per plant. I have followed this advice successfully for many years.
Jonathan

Bambusa Lako spacing Rick DeBay Bamboo 5 01-02-2006 10:17 PM
leylandii spacing Pete United Kingdom 6 22-04-2003 09:32 PM
B. oldhamii spacing Rick Emerson Bamboo 1 14-04-2003 03:32 AM
Sweet Alyssum spacing? Someone Gardening 8 09-04-2003 04:44 AM
Spacing of Perennials Jack United Kingdom 2 02-03-2003 05:00 PM