GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   How do climbing roses climb? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/215415-how-do-climbing-roses-climb.html)

David[_24_] 24-05-2018 03:07 PM

How do climbing roses climb?

:-) Trick Question :-)

As far as I can tell there is no such thing as a climbing rose (as in a
vine which will twine, or things with suckers to attach to walls).

The rose is a rambling rose (remember the song?) which rambles about all
over the place. If you tie it into a framework it will grow upwards and if
you lead it into the branches of a tree it will ramble all over the place
but without artificial support it just falls over.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Jeff Layman[_2_] 24-05-2018 04:21 PM

How do climbing roses climb?

On 24/05/18 15:07, David wrote:
:-) Trick Question :-)

As far as I can tell there is no such thing as a climbing rose (as in a
vine which will twine, or things with suckers to attach to walls).

The rose is a rambling rose (remember the song?) which rambles about all
over the place. If you tie it into a framework it will grow upwards and if
you lead it into the branches of a tree it will ramble all over the place
but without artificial support it just falls over.

Would you consider calling a climbing/rambling rose without any support
at all ground cover?

--

Jeff

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 25-05-2018 08:49 AM

How do climbing roses climb?

On 24/05/2018 15:07, David wrote:
:-) Trick Question :-)

As far as I can tell there is no such thing as a climbing rose (as in a
vine which will twine, or things with suckers to attach to walls).

The rose is a rambling rose (remember the song?) which rambles about all
over the place. If you tie it into a framework it will grow upwards and if
you lead it into the branches of a tree it will ramble all over the place
but without artificial support it just falls over.

Cheers

Dave R

They use the same method as other thorned climbers, the thorns curve
back ward and as the long stem pushes up through scrub they can't pull
back (bit like the barb on an arrow) Brambles do it the same way

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall

David[_24_] 25-05-2018 03:58 PM

How do climbing roses climb?

On Fri, 25 May 2018 08:49:58 +0100, Charlie Pridham wrote:

On 24/05/2018 15:07, David wrote:
:-) Trick Question :-)

As far as I can tell there is no such thing as a climbing rose (as in a
vine which will twine, or things with suckers to attach to walls).

The rose is a rambling rose (remember the song?) which rambles about
all over the place. If you tie it into a framework it will grow upwards
and if you lead it into the branches of a tree it will ramble all over
the place but without artificial support it just falls over.

Cheers

Dave R

They use the same method as other thorned climbers, the thorns curve
back ward and as the long stem pushes up through scrub they can't pull
back (bit like the barb on an arrow) Brambles do it the same way

I noticed that the bindweed was tying it in nicely.

However that isn't a viable long term solution.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Janet 27-05-2018 09:15 PM

How do climbing roses climb?

In article ,
says...

:-) Trick Question :-)

As far as I can tell there is no such thing as a climbing rose (as in a
vine which will twine, or things with suckers to attach to walls).

The rose is a rambling rose (remember the song?) which rambles about all
over the place. If you tie it into a framework it will grow upwards and if
you lead it into the branches of a tree it will ramble all over the place
but without artificial support it just falls over.

twining vines and plants with suckers, also fall over if they have
nothing to twine on or sucker on. I can't think of any plant that climbs
with nothing to support it (except Jack's beanstalk).

Janet.

Nick Maclaren[_5_] 17-11-2018 08:52 PM

How do climbing roses climb?

In article ,
Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

:-) Trick Question :-)

As far as I can tell there is no such thing as a climbing rose (as in a
vine which will twine, or things with suckers to attach to walls).

The rose is a rambling rose (remember the song?) which rambles about all
over the place. If you tie it into a framework it will grow upwards and if
you lead it into the branches of a tree it will ramble all over the place
but without artificial support it just falls over.

twining vines and plants with suckers, also fall over if they have
nothing to twine on or sucker on. I can't think of any plant that climbs
with nothing to support it (except Jack's beanstalk).

Yes, but there is a point here. Roses 'climb' by growing through other
shrubs, and the thorns stopping the stems from slipping back. They
don't actually grip the thing they are climbing up in any way, unlike
twiners, tendril climbers and pad climbers (like ivy).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.