Old 28-05-2018, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Shrub IDs

These were taken yesterday at Pylewell Park near Lymington.

Unknown1:
https://imgur.com/a/jQ92d9f
https://imgur.com/TThdA9Z

Unknown2
https://imgur.com/kxAoBhw

Unknown1a (close-up Unknown1b) was about 4 x 4 metres in size.
Unknown2 was about the same size. I believe that Unknown2 had no scent.
I did not check that of Unknown1

I have no idea if these shrubs are deciduous or not. Pylewell Park has a
remarkable collection of plants, many dating from the late 19th or early
20th century, and coming from China, Australasia, and South America.
There were a couple of embothriums in flower, one of which was 6 - 7
metres high, and a large number of magnolia, cornus, and rhodos. With
many of the shrubs and trees I could not even guess which family they
were from!

This plant collection is well worth seeing, but maintenance of such a
large collection is difficult and time-consuming.

--

Jeff
Old 28-05-2018, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/05/18 10:20, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 28 May 2018 09:23:29 +0100, Jeff Layman
wrote:

[...]

Don't know about 1. My first thought was an evergreen azalea or rhodo
of some sort, but the leaves are very rugose, (I think that's the
right term!), and I'm sure you'd have recognised it if it was.

Rugose? Indeed (useful ref:
http://www2.palomar.edu/users/warmstrong/termlf1.htm, with "rugose" in
Part 2). It was with a number of shrubs which to me were weigela-like,
but this one didn't look quite right. The flowers aren't right for a rhodo.

For 2, try Camellia chrysantha (aka c. nitidissima, I believe),
although I don't know its flowering season. Images here
https://bit.ly/2si4I0c

That's interesting. I hadn't considered a camellia, but there were one
or two still in flower there. From that link you gave, it seems pretty
variable. The flowers were about 4 cm across. I don't think that the
leaves are right for a camellia (unfortunately they don't show in the
photo very well, as I was using the camera on my old old smartphone and
it isn't good), as I seem to remember they were not tough, and the edges
weren't smooth.

--

Jeff
Old 28-05-2018, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Any chance of emailing Pylewell Park to ask them? My thought for the
second one was also some form of Camelia
Old 28-05-2018, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Sadly not. There is no mention of it in the NGS Yellow Book, and
surprisingly, not even a phone number. I did chat to the "gardener" (and
owner, Lord Teynham, who had planted many of the later and interesting
shrubs and trees) as we were leaving, but I had several other things to ask.

There is a website for Pylewell Park, but it seems to be associated with
other events, and there seems to be no mention of the garden open days
under the NGS.

--

Jeff
Old 28-05-2018, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Number one looks a bit like a pale Kolkwitzia but it could easily could
be one of the myriad of Dutzia

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall

Old 28-05-2018, 11:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

I think you could be spot on Kolkwitzia. It's related to Weigela
(Caprifoliaceae), so I'm happy to go with that. I had to laugh at the
mention of a Deutzia. I always say that if you find a shrub that you
cannot identify it must be a Deutzia!!!

By the way (and way OT), the Akebia longeracemosa is going mad and is
covered in flowers. It really is a wonderful plant. And Lonicera
alseuosmoides is covered in buds. Why aren't these plants better known?

--

Jeff
Old 29-05-2018, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

The Akebia because it was only introduced a few years ago and only
initially available at Crug prices! the Lonicera I suspect because its
not scented but for an evergreen it has a very long flowering season so
I like you am slightly puzzled as to why it is reckoned the poor cousin
to L. henryi (whose leaves are nowhere near as good in cold weather

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall

So many user IDs there windsong.your worse than I can dream of being SirSidney Ponds 1 20-02-2005 03:23 AM
Seeking IDs of three invaders Charles Packer Gardening 6 14-08-2004 02:37 PM
Tropical Plant IDs James Gardening 8 13-05-2004 03:02 PM
websites for plant photos / ids Niall Smyth United Kingdom 4 23-09-2003 03:29 AM
flower IDs for a hopeless photographer paul yoon Gardening 4 29-05-2003 11:44 PM