Old 06-06-2018, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Coffee grounds and slugs

Would you mind not falsely editing my post to make it look as if I
replied to you above?

I was responding to this

.In article ,
says...

The results of this study will be interesting

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-44357663

Janet

Would you care to explain just what you are objecting too? The answer
I gave was to the discussion in general, reposting the complete thread
every time is pointless.
In no way would I ever knowinly falsely edit any ones post, and have
not ever done it in the 20 + years I have been using this newsgroup.

If I have made an error a simple polite correction would have been in
order

Derek
Old 07-06-2018, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/06/18 22:25, Derek wrote:

Would you mind not falsely editing my post to make it look as if I
replied to you above?

I was responding to this

.In article ,
says...

The results of this study will be interesting

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-44357663

Janet

Would you care to explain just what you are objecting too? The answer
I gave was to the discussion in general, reposting the complete thread
every time is pointless.
In no way would I ever knowinly falsely edit any ones post, and have
not ever done it in the 20 + years I have been using this newsgroup.

If I have made an error a simple polite correction would have been in
order

Derek

From an independent observer's point of view...

Janet's original post said (with my emphasis between the **):-

"Pity they aren't including wood ash in the trial. When we had a
woodstove I used to put a circle of the fine ash round individual
brassicas and in rows between the strawberries, *which seemed to work
well*."

Your reply to, and including, her snipped post (again, my emphasis
between the **):

" Pity they aren't including wood ash in the trial.
Janet

Well they did, *and it was not a succes*, after all the slug rides on
mucus, so most materials willnot stop them "

Your reply indicates a direct opposite to what she had found when she
tried wood ash. In addition, the BBC page made no mention of wood ash as
far as I can see, so your use of "they" is misleading in that anyone
reading it would believe it referred to the RHS trial. In any case, that
trial has only just started, so if you know of someone who tried wood
ash in another trial you are referring to, and if it was not a success,
could you please post a link to it.

--

Jeff
Old 07-06-2018, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/06/2018 09:53, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Sat, 02 Jun 2018 09:01:37 +0100, Chris J Dixon
wrote:

Derek wrote:

There is another web site that has been running an
experiment on various so called remedys, puts a slug in a ring of the
material and watch if it can cross, nothing stops them. (ash and bran
slows them down )

I remember watching a slug slither its way happily over the
copper tape I had put on a large plantpot. :-(

Chris

The results of this study will be interesting

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-44357663

Pity they aren't including wood ash in the trial. When we had a
woodstove I used to put a circle of the fine ash round individual
brassicas and in rows between the strawberries, which seemed to work
well.

Woodash is quite caustic so I am not surprised the slugs didn't like it.
Potash was the old name for it. Nice source of potassium.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 08-06-2018, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In addition, the BBC page made no mention of wood ash as
far as I can see, so your use of "they" is misleading in that anyone
reading it would believe it referred to the RHS trial. In any case, that
trial has only just started, so if you know of someone who tried wood
ash in another trial you are referring to, and if it was not a success,
could you please post a link to it.

Thanks for clearing that up, Allotment growers UK facebook page has
had lots of discussions and the trial I was refering to is the one by
Matt Peskett
https://www.growlikegrandad.co.uk/al...ypsum-yes.html
I too saw the BBC item, and it came across as some new fangled
research. it seemed relevent to point out that ash when wet is like
most barriers a waste of time, Asking for clarification would have
been a better way

Derek
A user of News groups since Bullinton Boards and Blue Wave :-)
Old 08-06-2018, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/06/18 21:24, Derek wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the link. I am not in the least surprised that most of the
barriers were ineffective, especially when wet. The thorny barriers are
interesting, but only really suitable for selected plants.

I have wondered if ultrafine sand or silica sprayed in an adhesive gel
which sticks to plants would dissuade slugs and snails from eating them.
It would be a very hard material which could blunt the teeth on their
radulas.

--

Jeff

Old 10-06-2018, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David" wrote in message ...

Having been reminded that coffee grounds are a folk remedy for deterring
slugs, I looked it up online.

Apparently it is illegal to use any untested product as a chemical
deterrent.

Mulching to add organic content is fine, though.......

Ignoring the above for the moment, has anyone tried this and does it work?

Yes it works. 3 years ago I put some slugs and snails on a piece of slate
and added coffee mixed with grounds. The slugs started to dissolve :-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/72kze5xc3x..._2206.JPG?dl=0

I popped a large pot over and investigated the following morning. No remains
of the slugs but the 3 snails had climbed to safety, up the inside of the
flower pot :-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lmub2irr51..._2215.JPG?dl=0

I'm not sure how much damage coffee does to the soil biology, I would
therefore proceed with caution when using it as a general mulch. You need to
get some sealed containers with some garden bugs and experiment with coffee
grounds at varying doses.

Getting hold of sufficient quantities of coffee grounds is straightforward
as most cafes will donate, if you ring them beforehand. In fact, Howard
Shultz former CEO of Starbucks started a "Grounds for your Garden" project.
Wet "pucks" of coffee grounds are quite heavy, so double-bag for safety.

The slugs' natural enemy are nematodes but it's probably beyond the scope of
an amateur to test caffeine v nematodes. I haven't tested grounds on garden
worms but the para "Ecological Effects" suggests it's Ok :-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee#Biology

Your biggest hurdle will be protecting your barricade of coffee grounds from
heavy rain. Constant topping-up, could turn your hosta patch into a sterile
desert. One of the Hawaii universities started a study (about 10 years ago)
on the bio effects of coffee in the soil. Maybe they ran out of money but so
far nothing has been published. Anyhoo experiment, proceed with caution and
.... good luck.

Old 10-06-2018, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message news
There has been some research into it's use or more correctly the use
of Caffeine. Turns out it is a good deterrent but in stronger doses
than in grounds.

Ah, thanks Bob, I was wrong, Hawaii have indeed published.

Old 17-11-2018, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David wrote:
Having been reminded that coffee grounds are a folk remedy for deterring
slugs, I looked it up online.

Apparently it is illegal to use any untested product as a chemical
deterrent.

Mulching to add organic content is fine, though.......

Ignoring the above for the moment, has anyone tried this and does it work?

According to all reports, not well.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 17-11-2018, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/11/2018 20:53, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
David wrote:
Having been reminded that coffee grounds are a folk remedy for deterring
slugs, I looked it up online.

Apparently it is illegal to use any untested product as a chemical
deterrent.

Mulching to add organic content is fine, though.......

Ignoring the above for the moment, has anyone tried this and does it work?

According to all reports, not well.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Maby you want to get your coffee grounds from Costa, then the
multiplicity of coffees available would confuse the slugs so much they
would forget what they came to your plot for.
I know it confuses the hell out of me.
Old 18-11-2018, 12:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28 May 2018 17:46:32 GMT, David wrote:
Having been reminded that coffee grounds are a folk remedy for deterring
slugs, I looked it up online.

Apparently it is illegal to use any untested product as a chemical
deterrent.

Mulching to add organic content is fine, though.......

Ignoring the above for the moment, has anyone tried this and does it work?

I throw our coffee grounds onto our front garden which has always
has a large snail population despite my best efforts. Does not seem to
make much difference, they are still there in numbers. I understand
some research has been done on caffeine which has proved to be a slug
and snail deterrent, not much caffeine in grounds.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 24-11-2018, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/11/2018 23:22, Bob Hobden wrote:
On 28 May 2018 17:46:32 GMT, David wrote:
Having been reminded that coffee grounds are a folk remedy for deterring
slugs, I looked it up online.

Apparently it is illegal to use any untested product as a chemical
deterrent.

Mulching to add organic content is fine, though.......

Ignoring the above for the moment, has anyone tried this and does it work?

I throw our coffee grounds onto our front garden which has always
has a large snail population despite my best efforts. Does not seem to
make much difference, they are still there in numbers. I understand
some research has been done on caffeine which has proved to be a slug
and snail deterrent, not much caffeine in grounds.

I was told a long time ago that there are certain plants that slugs
don't like to eat.
if these could be identified then perhaps they have a chemical in them
that might make an effective deterrent?