GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Annual lawn mowing grumble (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/215435-annual-lawn-mowing-grumble.html)

David[_24_] 30-05-2018 08:30 PM

Annual lawn mowing grumble

This is the time of year when people cut the lawn really, really short and
then realise they have to run the sprinkler to keep it alive.

A slightly higher cut and the lawn does fine all by itself.

Grumble.

Dave R

---

Jeff Layman[_2_] 30-05-2018 08:52 PM

Annual lawn mowing grumble

On 30/05/18 20:30, David wrote:
This is the time of year when people cut the lawn really, really short and
then realise they have to run the sprinkler to keep it alive.

A slightly higher cut and the lawn does fine all by itself.

Grumble.

I hate grass and lawns. The shorter the better, but even if you cut it
to -5mm (ie slice it off) the grass still won't die. Maybe I should try
watering with glyphosate.

A lawn does have one advantage, though - ash seedlings can't germinate
in it!

--

Jeff

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 30-05-2018 11:04 PM

Annual lawn mowing grumble

On 30/05/2018 20:52, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 30/05/18 20:30, David wrote:
This is the time of year when people cut the lawn really, really short
and
then realise they have to run the sprinkler to keep it alive.

A slightly higher cut and the lawn does fine all by itself.

Grumble.

I hate grass and lawns. The shorter the better, but even if you cut it
to -5mm (ie slice it off) the grass still won't die. Maybe I should try
watering with glyphosate.

A lawn does have one advantage, though - ash seedlings can't germinate
in it!

I beg to differ, both Ash and Sycamore germinate just fine in mine,
although calling it lawn is perhaps stretching a point as grass is
probably a minority constituent. Mowing at least sees them off

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall

Roger Tonkin[_2_] 31-05-2018 10:28 AM

Annual lawn mowing grumble

In article ,
says...

This is the time of year when people cut the lawn really, really short and
then realise they have to run the sprinkler to keep it alive.

A slightly higher cut and the lawn does fine all by itself.

Grumble.

Dave R

My grumble used to be the time it took to mow the thing! Hence
the main reason for scalping it - more time between mowings :)

Now (having moved house) I can mow both front and back in an
hour, but I stil tend to cut it short. This year I applied one
of those weed & feed thingies, and now my front "lawn" is
mainly brown dried moss and bare patches os soil :(

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

---