Old 06-06-2018, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Puzzling weed

I stopped by the side of an A-road, and it had some self-seeded wheat
and oilseed rape - easy. But there was a plant that baffled me. It
looked and felt like a giganic sow thistle, with a stem 1 cm or more
thich and a metre high. Its leaves were alternate, c. 20 cm long,
and divided to 2/3 their depth into 5 rough-edged lobes. After handling
it gently, my hand stank until I washed it. But the really puzzling
thing was that its flower-bugs were in a sort of spire arrangment
(line a loose Spirea). I can't even think of what family it might be.

No picture, unfortunately, as my camera was packed.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/06/18 17:58, Nick Maclaren wrote:
I stopped by the side of an A-road, and it had some self-seeded wheat
and oilseed rape - easy. But there was a plant that baffled me. It
looked and felt like a giganic sow thistle, with a stem 1 cm or more
thich and a metre high. Its leaves were alternate, c. 20 cm long,
and divided to 2/3 their depth into 5 rough-edged lobes. After handling
it gently, my hand stank until I washed it. But the really puzzling
thing was that its flower-bugs were in a sort of spire arrangment
(line a loose Spirea). I can't even think of what family it might be.

No picture, unfortunately, as my camera was packed.

Could it have been Hyoscyamus niger (henbane)?

--

Jeff
Old 07-06-2018, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
On 06/06/18 17:58, Nick Maclaren wrote:
I stopped by the side of an A-road, and it had some self-seeded wheat
and oilseed rape - easy. But there was a plant that baffled me. It
looked and felt like a giganic sow thistle, with a stem 1 cm or more
thich and a metre high. Its leaves were alternate, c. 20 cm long,
and divided to 2/3 their depth into 5 rough-edged lobes. After handling
it gently, my hand stank until I washed it. But the really puzzling
thing was that its flower-bugs were in a sort of spire arrangment
(line a loose Spirea). I can't even think of what family it might be.

No picture, unfortunately, as my camera was packed.

Could it have been Hyoscyamus niger (henbane)?

Thanks, but not. There wasn't a hair in sight, and the leaves were
smooth enough to be almost shiny. Also, I am pretty sure that it
wasn't one of the Solanaceae.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:

I stopped by the side of an A-road, and it had some self-seeded wheat
and oilseed rape - easy. But there was a plant that baffled me. It
looked and felt like a giganic sow thistle, with a stem 1 cm or more
thich and a metre high. Its leaves were alternate, c. 20 cm long,
and divided to 2/3 their depth into 5 rough-edged lobes. After handling
it gently, my hand stank until I washed it. But the really puzzling
thing was that its flower-bugs were in a sort of spire arrangment
(line a loose Spirea). I can't even think of what family it might be.

No picture, unfortunately, as my camera was packed.

Could it have been Hyoscyamus niger (henbane)?

Thanks, but not. There wasn't a hair in sight, and the leaves were
smooth enough to be almost shiny. Also, I am pretty sure that it
wasn't one of the Solanaceae.

First thought re the stink was Birthwort, Aristolochia clematis, but
the leaves are wrong shape.

Yes. Upon thinking it over, I am pretty sure that it is an exotic
casual, but I can't guess from where the seed might have come. The
reason that I discounted Solanaceae is the pattern of flower buds;
while its leaves are very odd for those, the family is very variable,
but it might be an anomaly, I suppose. It definitely wasn't any of
the Daturas I know, just on the leaves.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/06/2018 17:58, Nick Maclaren wrote:
I stopped by the side of an A-road, and it had some self-seeded wheat
and oilseed rape - easy. But there was a plant that baffled me. It
looked and felt like a giganic sow thistle, with a stem 1 cm or more
thich and a metre high. Its leaves were alternate, c. 20 cm long,
and divided to 2/3 their depth into 5 rough-edged lobes. After handling
it gently, my hand stank until I washed it. But the really puzzling
thing was that its flower-bugs were in a sort of spire arrangment
(line a loose Spirea). I can't even think of what family it might be.

Were the leaves palmately or pinnately lobed?

Cicerbita crosses my mind, but I don't know anything about its foliage
odour if any.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
I stopped by the side of an A-road, and it had some self-seeded wheat
and oilseed rape - easy. But there was a plant that baffled me. It
looked and felt like a giganic sow thistle, with a stem 1 cm or more
thich and a metre high. Its leaves were alternate, c. 20 cm long,
and divided to 2/3 their depth into 5 rough-edged lobes. After handling
it gently, my hand stank until I washed it. But the really puzzling
thing was that its flower-bugs were in a sort of spire arrangment
(line a loose Spirea). I can't even think of what family it might be.

Were the leaves palmately or pinnately lobed?

Pinnately.

Cicerbita crosses my mind, but I don't know anything about its foliage
odour if any.

Thanks but, if the Wikipedia picture is typical, the leaves were wrong.
I really should have unpacked my camera :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/06/18 23:43, Nick Maclaren wrote:

Thanks but, if the Wikipedia picture is typical, the leaves were wrong.
I really should have unpacked my camera :-(

Would it be worth looking at the BSBI webpages, or even contacting them
to see if anything resembling your plant has been reported in the area?

--

Jeff
Old 09-06-2018, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
On 08/06/18 23:43, Nick Maclaren wrote:

Thanks but, if the Wikipedia picture is typical, the leaves were wrong.
I really should have unpacked my camera :-(

Would it be worth looking at the BSBI webpages, or even contacting them
to see if anything resembling your plant has been reported in the area?

Thanks. I will. I could revisit the area, and see if it has started
to flower.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.