GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Plum tree - "June drop" - ? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/215464-plum-tree-june-drop.html)

Another John 07-06-2018 10:48 PM

Plum tree - "June drop" - ?

Hello all

Our plum tree has gone mad this year and has tons (almost literally) of
plumlets on it now. They're at an early stage - about the size of an
apricot stone (we are in Tynedale, Northumberland).

My friend looked at them and said "I've heard of June drop when a tree
gets like that".

What does that mean - anyone know? (my friend had heard the expression
but didn't know what it means) Does the tree divest itself of excess
fruit, or should one manually strip each bunch down to a more reasonable
number?

In any event I had better prop the branches tomorrow, or they'll be
breaking.

Cheers
John

Bob Hobden[_6_] 07-06-2018 11:20 PM

Plum tree - "June drop" - ?

On 7 Jun 2018 22:48, Another John wrote:
Hello all

Our plum tree has gone mad this year and has tons (almost literally) of
plumlets on it now. They're at an early stage - about the size of an
apricot stone (we are in Tynedale, Northumberland).

My friend looked at them and said "I've heard of June drop when a tree
gets like that".

What does that mean - anyone know? (my friend had heard the expression
but didn't know what it means) Does the tree divest itself of excess
fruit, or should one manually strip each bunch down to a more reasonable
number?

In any event I had better prop the branches tomorrow, or they'll be
breaking.

Yes, it divests itself of excess fruitlets.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Jeff Layman[_2_] 08-06-2018 07:38 AM

Plum tree - "June drop" - ?

On 07/06/18 23:20, Bob Hobden wrote:
On 7 Jun 2018 22:48, Another John wrote:
Hello all

Our plum tree has gone mad this year and has tons (almost literally) of
plumlets on it now. They're at an early stage - about the size of an
apricot stone (we are in Tynedale, Northumberland).

My friend looked at them and said "I've heard of June drop when a tree
gets like that".

What does that mean - anyone know? (my friend had heard the expression
but didn't know what it means) Does the tree divest itself of excess
fruit, or should one manually strip each bunch down to a more reasonable
number?

In any event I had better prop the branches tomorrow, or they'll be
breaking.

Yes, it divests itself of excess fruitlets.

Although probably not enough if you want fruit of a decent size. You
will probably need to thin out even more, or you'll still get a large
number of fruits with relatively more stone than flesh

--

Jeff

David[_24_] 08-06-2018 10:13 AM

Plum tree - "June drop" - ?

On Fri, 08 Jun 2018 07:38:58 +0100, Jeff Layman wrote:

[...]

Too many plums in a cluster are more susceptible to rot as well.

Minor damage to one spreads through the whole cluster.

Our Czar was prone to that.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Another John 08-06-2018 10:21 PM

Plum tree - "June drop" - ?

OP here -- thanks for the advice, folks!

John