Old 14-06-2018, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Jersey Royals

I was cleaning some Jersey Royals this evening when I started wondering.
I seem to remember in the dark and distant days of my youth that Jersey
Royals had a red eye.
No sign of any now.
Is my memory wrong?

Old 15-06-2018, 08:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/06/18 23:05, David wrote:
I was cleaning some Jersey Royals this evening when I started wondering.
I seem to remember in the dark and distant days of my youth that Jersey
Royals had a red eye.
No sign of any now.
Is my memory wrong?

I don't remember any JRs that I have bought having a red eye.

IMO the JRs you can buy today are almost tasteless compared to those of
20 years ago. There are many tastier varieties of "new" potatoes which
don't carry the premium of JRs.

--

Jeff
Old 15-06-2018, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 15 Jun 2018 08:24:43 +0100, Jeff Layman
wrote:

On 14/06/18 23:05, David wrote:
I was cleaning some Jersey Royals this evening when I started wondering.
I seem to remember in the dark and distant days of my youth that Jersey
Royals had a red eye.
No sign of any now.
Is my memory wrong?

I don't remember any JRs that I have bought having a red eye.

IMO the JRs you can buy today are almost tasteless compared to those of
20 years ago. There are many tastier varieties of "new" potatoes which
don't carry the premium of JRs.

If Sacha were still posting here, who AIUI grew up on Jersey or
certainly had close family connections there, the flavour of JR's was
because it was traditional in the Channel Isles heavily to manure the
potato fields with seaweed every year, locally called vraic, a
practice which has died out, being quite labour intensive. There were
a couple of postage stamps issued shortly after the war showing the
practice. See https://bit.ly/2sXwyA0

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall, looking E, Sheltered and partially shaded by trees to the W and SW
Old 15-06-2018, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris Hogg wrote:

the flavour of JR's was because it was traditional in the Channel
Isles heavily to manure the potato fields with seaweed every year,
locally called vraic, a practice which has died out, being quite
labour intensive.

A page about it here ...
https://www.theislandwiki.org/index.php/Vraic
Old 15-06-2018, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/06/2018 11:15, Andy Burns wrote:

Chris Hogg wrote:

the flavour of JR's was because it was traditional in the Channel
Isles heavily to manure the potato fields with seaweed every year,
locally called vraic, a practice which has died out, being quite
labour intensive.

A page about it here ...
https://www.theislandwiki.org/index.php/Vraic

Very interesting article Thanks for posting.

Old 15-06-2018, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On 14/06/18 23:05, David wrote:
[...]

Indeed. The cessation of seaweed use for Jersey Royals was mentioned to
me time ago as a possible reason for the change in flavour. However,
according to the paper at
http://www.bahs.org.uk/AGHR/ARTICLES/14n2a4.pdf, potatoes when vraiced
were inferior to those not treated that way (see bottom of second column
on page 125):
"... and though it increases the crop of potatoes, it is said to make
them grow knotty and of an inferior quality." It doesn't mention
flavour, though.

--

Jeff
Old 15-06-2018, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On 14/06/18 23:05, David wrote:
I was cleaning some Jersey Royals this evening when I started wondering.
I seem to remember in the dark and distant days of my youth that Jersey
Royals had a red eye.
No sign of any now.
Is my memory wrong?

I don't remember any JRs that I have bought having a red eye.

Sacha says that they never did have a red eye.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

jersey royals bob[_5_] United Kingdom 3 25-05-2010 04:43 PM
high quality nhl jersey ice jersey Cheap high quality fashionwear11 Gardening 0 08-05-2010 03:14 AM
Jersey Royals Chris United Kingdom 9 21-01-2005 11:44 AM
JERSEY ROYALS Stuart York United Kingdom 21 03-11-2003 08:22 AM
JERSEY ROYALS Stuart York United Kingdom 6 01-11-2003 12:32 AM