Old 28-06-2018, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Courgettes - sudden worry about fertilisation

I have a couple of tubs of Orelia F1 yellow courgettes.

Going great guns at the moment with quite a few fruit showing signs of
developing but so far I have only seen female flowers.

In the past I seem to recall male flowers coming first, followed by female.

These don't seem to be listed as self fertile but they certainly seem to
be producing, however it will be another week or so before I can tell if
they are going to grow to full size.

Am I missing something?

Not complaining, just wondering how nature does its thing.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old 28-06-2018, 11:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/06/2018 18:37, David wrote:
I have a couple of tubs of Orelia F1 yellow courgettes.

Going great guns at the moment with quite a few fruit showing signs of
developing but so far I have only seen female flowers.

In the past I seem to recall male flowers coming first, followed by female.

These don't seem to be listed as self fertile but they certainly seem to
be producing, however it will be another week or so before I can tell if
they are going to grow to full size.

Am I missing something?

Not complaining, just wondering how nature does its thing.

Isn't it usually temperature based or fitness of the plant so that once
it is growing vigorously in good hot weather you are overwhelmed with
courgettes and days later if you miss one marrows. This warm weather
probably means more female flowers on rapidly growing plants.

You only need one male courgette flower somewhere nearby to set fruit.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 29-06-2018, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 28 Jun 2018 20:04:53 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On 28 Jun 2018 17:37:10 GMT, David wrote:

I have a couple of tubs of Orelia F1 yellow courgettes.

Going great guns at the moment with quite a few fruit showing signs of
developing but so far I have only seen female flowers.

In the past I seem to recall male flowers coming first, followed by
female.

These don't seem to be listed as self fertile but they certainly seem to
be producing, however it will be another week or so before I can tell if
they are going to grow to full size.

Am I missing something?

Not complaining, just wondering how nature does its thing.

Cheers

Dave R

I know nothing about growing veg, but I've a feeling that production of
male flowers is inhibited by high temperatures.

Define high temperatures. :-)

Pleasantly warm here - at the moment hovering around the low 20s
Centigrade which shouldn't be too high for courgettes.

One benefit of being near the coast.

Cheers

Dave R

---