Old 06-07-2018, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Flower id please

Very common I know but the name eludes me
http://i68.tinypic.com/3505fr5.jpg

Many thanks
Old 06-07-2018, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/07/2018 16:48, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 6 Jul 2018 02:38:37 -0700 (PDT), stuart noble
wrote:

Very common I know but the name eludes me
http://i68.tinypic.com/3505fr5.jpg

Many thanks

I'm assuming it's a wild flower, not a garden plant. My first reaction
was campion, but campion doesn't have clusters of flowers like that,
and the flowers don't look quite right. I'm puzzled, unless it's a
campion relative - alpine catchfly, lychnis alpina, which it might
well be. Images here https://tinyurl.com/yblpfvsg

SRH will be along shortly under his new alias to tell you what it
really is!

Valarien maybe?

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall
Old 07-07-2018, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Very common I know but the name eludes me
http://i68.tinypic.com/3505fr5.jpg

Many thanks

I'm assuming it's a wild flower, not a garden plant. My first reaction
was campion, but campion doesn't have clusters of flowers like that,
and the flowers don't look quite right. I'm puzzled, unless it's a
campion relative - alpine catchfly, lychnis alpina, which it might
well be. Images here https://tinyurl.com/yblpfvsg

SRH will be along shortly under his new alias to tell you what it
really is!

Valarien maybe?

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Thanks, Charlie. I hear it grows wild down your way.
Old 07-07-2018, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Very common I know but the name eludes me
http://i68.tinypic.com/3505fr5.jpg

Many thanks

I'm assuming it's a wild flower, not a garden plant. My first reaction
was campion, but campion doesn't have clusters of flowers like that,
and the flowers don't look quite right. I'm puzzled, unless it's a
campion relative - alpine catchfly, lychnis alpina, which it might
well be. Images here https://tinyurl.com/yblpfvsg

SRH will be along shortly under his new alias to tell you what it
really is!

Valarien maybe?

Nearly - red valerian (Centranthus ruber).

[Easier to identify from an in situ photograph, but I'm fairly certain.
It's fairly common as a garden edge plant/pavement weed.]

--
SRH
Old 09-07-2018, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Very common I know but the name eludes me
http://i68.tinypic.com/3505fr5.jpg

Many thanks

I'm assuming it's a wild flower, not a garden plant. My first reaction
was campion, but campion doesn't have clusters of flowers like that,
and the flowers don't look quite right. I'm puzzled, unless it's a
campion relative - alpine catchfly, lychnis alpina, which it might
well be. Images here https://tinyurl.com/yblpfvsg

SRH will be along shortly under his new alias to tell you what it
really is!

Valarien maybe?

Nearly - red valerian (Centranthus ruber).

[Easier to identify from an in situ photograph, but I'm fairly certain.
It's fairly common as a garden edge plant/pavement weed.]

Thats the one I meant (should have used the Latin name - sorry) yes it
grows wild in red pink or white and can become a bit of a nuisance

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall