Old 08-08-2018, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Raspberry pruning conundrum

This is the time of year I prune my raspberries. I cut off last years
canes then tie up this years ready for next years crop. This year
however an inordinate number of this years canes have fruited, If I cut
those off which I normally do it will seriously deplete next years crop.
What procedure should I follow?
Old 08-08-2018, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/08/2018 11:07, Broadback wrote:
This is the time of year I prune my raspberries. I cut off last years
canes then tie up this years ready for next years crop. This year
however an inordinate number of this years canes have fruited, If I cut
those off which I normally do it will seriously deplete next years crop.
What procedure should I follow?

I leave my canes growing on until the leaves turn brown in the hope that
they will put more energy back into the roots. It has been a funny year.

One benefit is that outdoor tomatoes have done well ever if all the
really thirsty things have turned up their toes or failed to perform.
Some lawns round here look like coconut matting rather than grass!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 08-08-2018, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , messageboards@j-
towill.co.uk says...

This is the time of year I prune my raspberries. I cut off last years
canes then tie up this years ready for next years crop. This year
however an inordinate number of this years canes have fruited, If I cut
those off which I normally do it will seriously deplete next years crop.
What procedure should I follow?

Never really had this before. I used to have one row of summer
fruiting, which as you do got cut down when finnished, leaving
the new shoots to grow on for next year.
Another row of autumn fruiting one, which fruit on this years
canes, as the name suggests from September onwards. They got
cut down late winter early spring so the new fruiting shoots
could grow.

I wonder if you were a bit late in cutting down last year.

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

---
https://www.avg.com

Rose name conundrum Koscha Roses 2 30-05-2008 03:50 AM
Tree conundrum [email protected] Gardening 5 09-10-2006 01:30 AM
Passion flower ant conundrum Tim Tyler United Kingdom 1 24-07-2005 08:29 PM
Lighting Conundrum [email protected] Orchids 2 11-04-2005 01:28 AM
A conundrum pelirojaroja Gardening 7 05-04-2003 06:20 AM