Old 17-08-2018, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cherry tomatoes

I swapped some courgette plants early in the year with someone who works
as a volunteer in my local library for 3 tomato plants from Thompson &
Morgan. She'd sent for some Black Eyed Susan plants and got tomatoes
instead! which she didn't want.
They were almost bursting out of their pots so I repotted them into 12
inch pots. They are brilliant, spreading stems downward to meet the
ground all over, full of trusses with 8 fruit on each. I'm going to save
some seeds from them!
The tomatoes are really small, only the size of a 1p piece, and very
dark in colour. The flavour is superb. Anyone have a clue what variety
they might be?
Old 17-08-2018, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tina wrote:

The tomatoes are really small, only the size of a 1p piece, and very
dark in colour. The flavour is superb.Â* Anyone have a clue what variety
they might be?

From the description, possibly these?

https://www.thompson-morgan.com/p/tomato-cherry-black-opal/tm54731TM

That doesn't say that they're F1 hybrids, but if they are and you grow
from their seeds, the offspring might vary wildly from the parents ...

Old 20-08-2018, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/08/2018 19:31, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 17 Aug 2018 19:16:11 +0100, Tina
wrote:

I swapped some courgette plants early in the year with someone who works
as a volunteer in my local library for 3 tomato plants from Thompson &
Morgan. She'd sent for some Black Eyed Susan plants and got tomatoes
instead! which she didn't want.
They were almost bursting out of their pots so I repotted them into 12
inch pots. They are brilliant, spreading stems downward to meet the
ground all over, full of trusses with 8 fruit on each. I'm going to save
some seeds from them!
The tomatoes are really small, only the size of a 1p piece, and very
dark in colour. The flavour is superb. Anyone have a clue what variety
they might be?

A quick scan of T&M's cherry tomatoes brings up 'Black Opal'
https://www.thompson-morgan.com/p/to...opal/tm54731TM
https://tinyurl.com/y9q42e9b

or 'Black Cherry'
https://www.thompson-morgan.com/p/to...ck-cherry/79TM
https://tinyurl.com/y7ycxxl2

Take your pick.

looks like Black cherry, thanks

Old 20-08-2018, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/08/2018 19:41, Andy Burns wrote:
Tina wrote:

The tomatoes are really small, only the size of a 1p piece, and very
dark in colour. The flavour is superb.Â* Anyone have a clue what
variety they might be?

From the description, possibly these?

https://www.thompson-morgan.com/p/tomato-cherry-black-opal/tm54731TM

That doesn't say that they're F1 hybrids, but if they are and you grow
from their seeds, the offspring might vary wildly from the parents ...

They are not as dark as black opal, I think they are black cherry.
Magnificent croppers. I'll try saving seed and see what I get next
year. Thanks for your help.

Old 21-08-2018, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tina wrote:

The tomatoes are really small, only the size of a 1p piece, and very
dark in colour. The flavour is superb.Â* Anyone have a clue what
variety they might be?

From the description, possibly these?

https://www.thompson-morgan.com/p/tomato-cherry-black-opal/tm54731TM

That doesn't say that they're F1 hybrids, but if they are and you grow
from their seeds, the offspring might vary wildly from the parents ...

I'm fairly sure they are black cherry, not black opal, they aren't dark
enough for those, but they crop so well and taste so good, it's worth
having a go with the seeds for next year