GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Samphire (Crithmum not Salicornia) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/215646-samphire-crithmum-not-salicornia.html)

Nick Maclaren[_5_] 18-08-2018 08:30 PM

Samphire (Crithmum not Salicornia)

I have three plants in pots, and it tastes interesting, but I can't
find a recipe! I know they existed, but all I have found is in
Sanders "Leaves used for pickling." Any pointers?

Yes, I can just use it, but I should be interested to know what it
was favoured for, in the days when it was a highly-valued crop.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Nick Maclaren[_5_] 18-08-2018 08:39 PM

In article , Nick Maclaren wrote:

I have three plants in pots, and it tastes interesting, but I can't
find a recipe! I know they existed, but all I have found is in
Sanders "Leaves used for pickling." Any pointers?

Yes, I can just use it, but I should be interested to know what it
was favoured for, in the days when it was a highly-valued crop.

Stupid of me. I tried a different search and found some, though a
large proportion of the links were clearly confusing it with The
Other One, and most seemed to be modern and Mediterranean. Not
that I object to that, but I still can't find how it was eaten in
the UK (except pickled).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

david 18-08-2018 08:50 PM

On 18/08/2018 20:30, Nick Maclaren wrote:
I have three plants in pots, and it tastes interesting, but I can't
find a recipe! I know they existed, but all I have found is in
Sanders "Leaves used for pickling." Any pointers?

Yes, I can just use it, but I should be interested to know what it
was favoured for, in the days when it was a highly-valued crop.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Don't know if this will help.
http://www.gallowaywildfoods.com/roc...-distribution/

Janet 18-08-2018 09:03 PM

Samphire (Crithmum not Salicornia)

In article , says...

I have three plants in pots, and it tastes interesting, but I can't
find a recipe!

I know they existed, but all I have found is in
Sanders "Leaves used for pickling." Any pointers?

Yes, I can just use it, but I should be interested to know what it
was favoured for, in the days when it was a highly-valued crop.

https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/ho...-cook-samphire

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...atures.weekend

Janet

Nick Maclaren[_5_] 19-08-2018 08:36 AM

Samphire (Crithmum not Salicornia)

In article ,
Janet wrote:

I have three plants in pots, and it tastes interesting, but I can't
find a recipe!

I know they existed, but all I have found is in
Sanders "Leaves used for pickling." Any pointers?

Yes, I can just use it, but I should be interested to know what it
was favoured for, in the days when it was a highly-valued crop.

https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/ho...-cook-samphire

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...atures.weekend

Thanks, but those are Salicornia! The link David posted shows the
plant I am talking about. Rock samphire is less crisp, watery and
salty, and MUCH more strongly flavoured. Actually, mine isn't salty
at all, but probably would be if I salted the soil it is in.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Janet 19-08-2018 10:30 AM

Janet wrote:

I have three plants in pots, and it tastes interesting, but I can't
find a recipe!

I know they existed, but all I have found is in
Sanders "Leaves used for pickling." Any pointers?

Yes, I can just use it, but I should be interested to know what it
was favoured for, in the days when it was a highly-valued crop.

https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/ho...-cook-samphire

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...atures.weekend

Thanks, but those are Salicornia! The link David posted shows the
plant I am talking about. Rock samphire is less crisp, watery and
salty, and MUCH more strongly flavoured. Actually, mine isn't salty
at all, but probably would be if I salted the soil it is in.

oops sorry, wasn't paying attention; that was the one I've eaten in
East Anglia ( very so-what ish iirc).

Janet.

Nick Maclaren[_5_] 19-08-2018 07:40 PM

Janet wrote:

Thanks, but those are Salicornia! The link David posted shows the
plant I am talking about. Rock samphire is less crisp, watery and
salty, and MUCH more strongly flavoured. Actually, mine isn't salty
at all, but probably would be if I salted the soil it is in.

oops sorry, wasn't paying attention; that was the one I've eaten in
East Anglia ( very so-what ish iirc).

Actually, I am very fond of it, but it's often not served at all well,
and is essentially impossible to grow in the garden.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.