Old 05-09-2018, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Can anyone ID these 2 plants, please?

I picked these two up at a car boot sale last week. Can anyone identify them please?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RSgcnYZCWJJeoSC19

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HcQiLfUxXGye1hkR6

Many thanks in advance!

Al
Old 05-09-2018, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/09/2018 17:34, wrote:
I picked these two up at a car boot sale last week. Can anyone identify them please?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RSgcnYZCWJJeoSC19

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HcQiLfUxXGye1hkR6

Many thanks in advance!

Al

I think the first is a form of Whipcord Hebe
The second looks like Ajuga reptans 'Atropurpurea'
Old 05-09-2018, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wednesday, September 5, 2018 at 5:48:23 PM UTC+1, Dave Hill wrote:

I think the first is a form of Whipcord Hebe
The second looks like Ajuga reptans 'Atropurpurea'

Hi Dave,
Having Googled the two plants you suggested, I am fairly convinced you are correct - especially re the Ajuga reptans. That's very helpful; thank you so much! The lady who sold me the plants thought the other one was an artemesia of some kind, but I wasn't convinced.

~Al
Old 05-09-2018, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

On 05/09/2018 17:34, wrote:
I picked these two up at a car boot sale last week. Can anyone identify them please?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RSgcnYZCWJJeoSC19

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HcQiLfUxXGye1hkR6

Many thanks in advance!

Al

I think the first is a form of Whipcord Hebe
The second looks like Ajuga reptans 'Atropurpurea'

I agree ajuga, but the first is santolina

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/Search...uery=Santolina

Janet
Old 06-09-2018, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/09/2018 23:19, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Wed, 5 Sep 2018 22:41:49 +0100, Janet wrote:

In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

On 05/09/2018 17:34, wrote:
I picked these two up at a car boot sale last week. Can anyone identify them please?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RSgcnYZCWJJeoSC19

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HcQiLfUxXGye1hkR6

Many thanks in advance!

Al

I think the first is a form of Whipcord Hebe
The second looks like Ajuga reptans 'Atropurpurea'

I agree ajuga, but the first is santolina

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/Search...uery=Santolina

Janet

Yes to the ajuga, and if the first is santolina, which it certainly
looks like, it will have aromatic foliage.

Sorry, but the foliage on Santolina is more feathery and as has been
said is aromatic, used to be called cotton lavender.
Hebe is much more ridgid and the laves are almost scale like.

Old 06-09-2018, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/09/2018 17:34, wrote:
I picked these two up at a car boot sale last week. Can anyone
identify them please?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RSgcnYZCWJJeoSC19

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HcQiLfUxXGye1hkR6

Many thanks in advance!

Al

I think the first is a form of Whipcord Hebe
The second looks like Ajuga reptans 'Atropurpurea'

Â* I agree ajuga, but the first is santolina

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/Search...uery=Santolina

Janet

Yes to the ajuga, and if the first is santolina, which it certainly
looks like, it will have aromatic foliage.

Sorry, but the foliage on Santolina is more feathery and as has been
said is aromatic, used to be called cotton lavender.
Hebe is much more ridgid and the laves are almost scale like.

Just had another look at the first pic. and I was wrong, I'll go with
Santolina chamaecyparissus
Old 07-09-2018, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/09/2018 17:34, wrote:
[...]

both seem singularly boring.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Friday, September 7, 2018 at 9:47:27 AM UTC+1, FMurtz wrote:

both seem singularly boring.

Thanks for sharing (not).

To everyone else: Many thanks; you've convinced me, re the cotton lavender!

Al