Old 07-09-2018, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Any tricks for stopping long grass growing up through shrubs?

Can anyone offer any tips/tricks for stopping long grass from growing up through shrubs in a border? I've got rock roses and low, spreading dwarf conifers that are affected. Is there a grass-specific herbicide?

Thank you.

Al

Old 07-09-2018, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 7 Sep 2018 03:46:27 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Can anyone offer any tips/tricks for stopping long grass from growing up through shrubs in a border? I've got rock roses and low, spreading dwarf conifers that are affected. Is there a grass-specific herbicide?

Thank you.

Al

No tricks I'm afraid and AFAIK here's no specific grass herbicide,
although I believe glyphosate was developed specifically with couch
grass in mind, except it kills everything else as well.

I just fold back the plant as best I can, and grab the tuft of grass
firmly by the neck as close to the soil as I can, and pull. Often it
will come up complete with roots, but even if it just all rips of,
you've given it a bit of a fright!

I suppose you could cut collars from weed-proof matting and fit them
around the stems of said shrubs. Something like these
https://tinyurl.com/y9tv3yhh or these https://tinyurl.com/yc2hw264 if
you don't want the fiddle of eventually removing them: the cardboard
will decompose over time.

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall, looking E, Sheltered and partially shaded by trees to the W and SW
Old 07-09-2018, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

Can anyone offer any tips/tricks for stopping long grass from growing up through shrubs in a border? I've got rock roses and low, spreading dwarf conifers that are affected. Is there a grass-specific herbicide?

Thank you.

My tip is called " hand-weeding".
You will require a kneeler, a bucket, patience and persistence.

Janet

Old 07-09-2018, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Friday, September 7, 2018 at 1:43:07 PM UTC+1, Janet wrote:

My tip is called " hand-weeding".
You will require a kneeler, a bucket, patience and persistence.

And a good degree of flexibility - qualities I no longer possess, sad to say, but thanks, nevertheless.

Al