Old 07-09-2018, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Any tricks for stopping long grass growing up through shrubs?

Can anyone offer any tips/tricks for stopping long grass from growing up through shrubs in a border? I've got rock roses and low, spreading dwarf conifers that are affected. Is there a grass-specific herbicide?

Thank you.

Al
Old 07-09-2018, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Friday, September 7, 2018 at 1:43:07 PM UTC+1, Janet wrote:

My tip is called " hand-weeding".
You will require a kneeler, a bucket, patience and persistence.

And a good degree of flexibility - qualities I no longer possess, sad to say, but thanks, nevertheless.

Al

Old 10-10-2018, 09:58 PM
Dormouse7's Avatar
Registered User

Hi Jeff. Sorry, my first post so no background for you to check on. As previously mentioned, no chemical available to Joe Bloggs that can spot grass against any other plant - robots are our future!

The only thing I can think to try of is ground cover of some sort to stop the grass getting light to grow.

Woodchips are easy to distribute but need to be thick and will probably not last long enough or be barrier enough to kill the grass. If you have the money more than the physical ability, I'd go for this and reapply regularly. It wouldn't be perfect but it would be better and look ok.

500 micron plastic will probably kill what's below but won't stop it creeping round the edges and would be hellishly hard to cut round the existing plants! Might also reduce water reaching wanted plant.

Maybe plant a ground covering plant to potentially weaken the grass (by denying light) such as Lysimachia nummularia or an ajuga (planted below plants so they grow up or down towards the light) and planting bulbs will also help you remove some of the grass with more exciting aspiration to do so.

Just some suggestions which may be shouted down but maybe of use or inspiration.

Good luck

DM