GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   improvised pot holder (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/21570-improvised-pot-holder.html)

R 09-05-2003 10:32 PM

improvised pot holder

I have loads of 3" pots in use in the greenhouse, and have seen
expensive stands which hold a few pots and lets you maximise space,as
well as easily move them outside to harden off. Being a cheapskate, I
thought there must be an urger who has thought of an improvised pot
stand....anyone?

Janet Baraclough 10-05-2003 11:20 PM

improvised pot holder

The message
from (R) contains these words:

I have loads of 3" pots in use in the greenhouse, and have seen
expensive stands which hold a few pots and lets you maximise space,as
well as easily move them outside to harden off. Being a cheapskate, I
thought there must be an urger who has thought of an improvised pot
stand....anyone?

I use perforated plastic vegetable display boxes, free from a
farmshop; greengrocers will have them. Depending on the size you can fit
12 or 24 pots into a tray. It makes moving and watering really easy.
I've also used much larger rectangular breadbaskets, but since bakeries
don't give those away, all mine were retrieved from rivers and beaches.

Even the smaller trays are quite strong and have corner lugs so they
stack with a gap between each layer; no good for plants, but useful in a
shed for storing small useful items in an easily accessible way.
Breadbaskets are particularly useful for storing hundreds of stacked
plantpots.

Janet.