Old 13-09-2018, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sheep resistant plants?

On Sunday, 15 April 2001 19:33:16 UTC+1, John Neale Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "Nicola Taylor" contains these words:

Hi, can anyone help two non-gardeners here in the NW Highlands of Scotland,
please? We need to disguise a rather ugly wooden fence (3' high), perhaps
with a climber. Trouble is, the flippin' sheep wander all over the place
here and eat just about everything. Any suggestions for sheep-resistant
plants gratefully received.

I suggest you try gorse. It's evergreen, tough, sheep proof, and it
flowers. Clipped tight it makes a superb hedge; there used to be one
just at the entrance to Inverewe gardens. Please read the charter
about posting advertisements on this ng.

Janet

quest, though am looking for a cascading plant to cover a very ugly wall which the sheep will not eat! I have had to pay £500 to fence my front garden because of sheep, it makes me angry, I do not see why I should have to pay this, the crofters who let their sheep just roam should pay for fencing our gardens against their marauding sheep!!

Lesley
Old 13-09-2018, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
wrote:
On Sunday, 15 April 2001 19:33:16 UTC+1, John Neale Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "Nicola Taylor" contains these words:

Hi, can anyone help two non-gardeners here in the NW Highlands of Scotland,
please? We need to disguise a rather ugly wooden fence (3' high), perhaps
with a climber. Trouble is, the flippin' sheep wander all over the place
here and eat just about everything. Any suggestions for sheep-resistant
plants gratefully received.

Where you are, the simplest answer is ivy. There are plenty of ones
that are decorative and some that are less vigorous than the wild form.
If even that fails to thrive, gorse is pretty well the only option
I can think of.

I suggest you try gorse. It's evergreen, tough, sheep proof, and it
flowers. Clipped tight it makes a superb hedge; there used to be one
just at the entrance to Inverewe gardens. Please read the charter
about posting advertisements on this ng.

Assuming that you are prepared to keep it clipped, and don't mind its
aggressive tendencies (both spines and roots) :-)

quest, though am looking for a cascading plant to cover a very ugly
wall which the sheep will not eat! I have had to pay 500 to fence my
front garden because of sheep, it makes me angry, I do not see why I
should have to pay this, the crofters who let their sheep just roam
should pay for fencing our gardens against their marauding sheep!!

If you choose to live in an area where open grazing is traditional,
you should accept it, and not impose suburban attitudes on others.
Ivy would do for you, too.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-09-2018, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
The message from "Nicola
Taylor" contains these words:

Hi, can anyone help two non-gardeners here in the NW Highlands of
Scotland, please? We need to disguise a rather ugly wooden fence
(3' high), perhaps with a climber. Trouble is, the flippin' sheep
wander all over the place here and eat just about everything. Any
suggestions for sheep-resistant plants gratefully received.

Pyracantha or hawthorn might be up to it. Likewise berberis. But be
careful what you wish for since for sheep/goats not to eat it it needs
to be stock proof which translates to tough and very very spiny. The
cows will happily eat our brambles and holly. They are much less keen om
stuff with 1" rigid spines. I use chrome leather gloves to prune it.

Although we have a nominally stockproof fence I know for a fact that it
would not stop a suitably motivated cow. I chased an invading herd out
of the VH patio garden once and a couple cleared a 5 bar fence with no
problem at all - the others went out through the gate!

I suggest you try gorse. It's evergreen, tough, sheep proof, and
it flowers. Clipped tight it makes a superb hedge; there used to be
one just at the entrance to Inverewe gardens. Please read the
charter about posting advertisements on this ng.

Janet

quest, though am looking for a cascading plant to cover a very ugly
wall which the sheep will not eat! I have had to pay £500 to fence
my front garden because of sheep, it makes me angry, I do not see why
I should have to pay this, the crofters who let their sheep just roam
should pay for fencing our gardens against their marauding sheep!!

Ivy or Russian Vine ought to do it. But again be careful what you wish
for - the solution may be more work and worse than the original problem.

I think you will find that the crofters were there first and you are
obliged to maintain a boundary fence to keep stock from straying onto
your property. This is especially important if you have any really toxic
plants like yew or daphnes that might kill an animal that ate it.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 13-09-2018, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

I think you will find that the crofters were there first and you are
obliged to maintain a boundary fence to keep stock from straying onto
your property. This is especially important if you have any really toxic
plants like yew or daphnes that might kill an animal that ate it.

It's an ancient thread from 2001, come back to life.

I thought her sig was priceless.

Janet
Old 14-09-2018, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thursday, 13 September 2018 13:03:02 UTC+1, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
On Sunday, 15 April 2001 19:33:16 UTC+1, John Neale Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "Nicola Taylor" contains these words:

Hi, can anyone help two non-gardeners here in the NW Highlands of Scotland,
please? We need to disguise a rather ugly wooden fence (3' high), perhaps
with a climber. Trouble is, the flippin' sheep wander all over the place
here and eat just about everything. Any suggestions for sheep-resistant
plants gratefully received.

Where you are, the simplest answer is ivy.

I have kept sheep and they love ivy. It's a good pick-me-up for them if they are a bit off colour.

Jonathan

Old 17-09-2018, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/09/2018 13:03, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
[...]

I'm not sure ivy would be sheep resistant Nick, goats love it.