Old 13-09-2018, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT(ish): Pond tadpoles

I have a small (double) pond and still have a couple of tadpoles
swimming around. Should I issue an eviction notice or are they like
today's 35yr old stay-at-homes and they've got too comfortable in the
water?

--
AnthonyL

Old 13-09-2018, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 13 Sep 2018 20:06:38 GMT, lid (AnthonyL)
wrote:

I have a small (double) pond and still have a couple of tadpoles
swimming around. Should I issue an eviction notice or are they like
today's 35yr old stay-at-homes and they've got too comfortable in the
water?

With some taddies, occasionally the metamorphosis process doesn't kick
in, and they just hang around, usually until the following spring.

https://tinyurl.com/y8fa6bpx
https://tinyurl.com/y8nm97v7

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall, looking E, Sheltered and partially shaded by trees to the W and SW
Old 14-09-2018, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I have a small (double) pond and still have a couple of tadpoles
swimming around. Should I issue an eviction notice or are they like
today's 35yr old stay-at-homes and they've got too comfortable in the
water?

With some taddies, occasionally the metamorphosis process doesn't kick
in, and they just hang around, usually until the following spring.

https://tinyurl.com/y8fa6bpx
https://tinyurl.com/y8nm97v7

Many thanks, this is just my 3rd year of experience. Last year we had
no tadpoles at all. But I think this year we had 3 separate lots.

The natural balance may have been upset when I accepted a bucket of
tadpoles from a neighbour when fearing I wasn't going to have any this
year. But there is algae and daphnia around, hope this winter isn't
going to be as harsh as last.

--
AnthonyL
Old 14-09-2018, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14 Sep 2018 11:58, lid (AnthonyL) wrote:
On Thu, 13 Sep 2018 22:02:40 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Thu, 13 Sep 2018 20:06:38 GMT,
lid (AnthonyL)
wrote:

I have a small (double) pond and still have a couple of tadpoles
swimming around. Should I issue an eviction notice or are they like
today's 35yr old stay-at-homes and they've got too comfortable in the
water?

With some taddies, occasionally the metamorphosis process doesn't kick
in, and they just hang around, usually until the following spring.

https://tinyurl.com/y8fa6bpx
https://tinyurl.com/y8nm97v7

Many thanks, this is just my 3rd year of experience. Last year we had
no tadpoles at all. But I think this year we had 3 separate lots.

The natural balance may have been upset when I accepted a bucket of
tadpoles from a neighbour when fearing I wasn't going to have any this
year. But there is algae and daphnia around, hope this winter isn't
going to be as harsh as last.

You won't believe how big those tadpoles will get by next spring.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden
Old 17-09-2018, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I have a small (double) pond and still have a couple of tadpoles
swimming around. Should I issue an eviction notice or are they like
today's 35yr old stay-at-homes and they've got too comfortable in the
water?

With some taddies, occasionally the metamorphosis process doesn't kick
in, and they just hang around, usually until the following spring.

https://tinyurl.com/y8fa6bpx
https://tinyurl.com/y8nm97v7

I agree with Chris, so just leave them where they are.