Old 13-09-2018, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Digging up Agapanthus

This afternoon I spent a half hour or so digging out a very tough,
old, shaded and unspectacular agapanthus. The main rooty bits came up
eventually, with sounds of much ripping and tearing, but there's a
myriad of finer roots left in the soil, looking much like convolvulus
roots. Do these finer agapanthus roots have the ability to survive and
re-grow independently, or is it safe to consider that patch as
'clean'?

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall, looking E, Sheltered and partially shaded by trees to the W and SW

Old 13-09-2018, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/09/18 22:30, Chris Hogg wrote:
This afternoon I spent a half hour or so digging out a very tough,
old, shaded and unspectacular agapanthus. The main rooty bits came up
eventually, with sounds of much ripping and tearing, but there's a
myriad of finer roots left in the soil, looking much like convolvulus
roots. Do these finer agapanthus roots have the ability to survive and
re-grow independently, or is it safe to consider that patch as
'clean'?

I don't think they can regenerate from feeder roots, BICBW! I think
agapanthus are true bulbs, and I believe they need a piece of basal
plate if they are to form new bulbs.

--

Jeff
Old 14-09-2018, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 13 Sep 2018 22:43:31 +0100, Jeff Layman
wrote:

On 13/09/18 22:30, Chris Hogg wrote:
This afternoon I spent a half hour or so digging out a very tough,
old, shaded and unspectacular agapanthus. The main rooty bits came up
eventually, with sounds of much ripping and tearing, but there's a
myriad of finer roots left in the soil, looking much like convolvulus
roots. Do these finer agapanthus roots have the ability to survive and
re-grow independently, or is it safe to consider that patch as
'clean'?

I don't think they can regenerate from feeder roots, BICBW! I think
agapanthus are true bulbs, and I believe they need a piece of basal
plate if they are to form new bulbs.

Thanks Jeff; that's what I hoped. If it's not the case, I'm going to
have several squillion agapanthi (?) coming up over the next few
months!

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall, looking E, Sheltered and partially shaded by trees to the W and SW

Agapanthus propagation (pods\seeds) Ruth Australia 11 22-01-2011 11:28 AM
Agapanthus Rob Webb Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:37 AM
Agapanthus Loosecannon Australia 1 28-03-2003 08:20 PM
Agapanthus tangle John United Kingdom 2 08-03-2003 06:22 PM
Agapanthus propagation (pods\seeds) Rita Bogna Australia 0 15-02-2003 06:11 AM