Old 22-09-2018, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Olearia Traversii [sick]

Hi,
I have been very greatful for the assistance provided in the past
and once more have hopes of help.

Because of the drought, I brought back twenty seven olearia cuttings
that had developed from 5 to 60 cm. They were from Ireland [SW Coast]
and taken to the Midlands [UK].

They are pot grown outside with a few being transferred to larger pots
as growth continued, the intention being to replant the things in
Ireland when the winds drop down to mere hurricane force.

Unfortunately I think I have some kind of infestation. A lot of the
leaves are distorted, the distortion making most sickle shaped, and
the new shoots are dry and are coated / filled with a fine powdery
dust.

There appear to be some spots on the leaves black soot like that dont
move and greyish green little things much smaller than a pin head that
I think are alive. These are visible when I pry apart the new shoots.

I was told aphids were the problem and squirted the plants with
washing up liquid [about 0.5% WW]. It has made no difference.

Was this the right approach or should I go for some kind of nicotine
preparation?

Regards

AB
Old 23-09-2018, 08:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/09/18 07:32, Chris Hogg wrote:

Or were you thinking of the modern neonicotinoids. But these have now
been withdrawn EU-wide because of their claimed effect on bees.

Acetamiprid is still available, as noted in the RHS paper from the link
in your paragraph below.

A list of insecticides available to the UK amateur and advice on their
use is available on the RHS web site. Personally, I'd go for a
systemic insecticide, as that gets into the sap and spreads through
the whole plant, so that any bugs not reached by a contact insecticide
get killed when the suck the sap. https://tinyurl.com/y9g3oafu and
see Section 4.

--

Jeff
Old 23-09-2018, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 08:49:07 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 08:18:34 +0100, Jeff Layman
wrote:

On 23/09/18 07:32, Chris Hogg wrote:

Or were you thinking of the modern neonicotinoids. But these have now
been withdrawn EU-wide because of their claimed effect on bees.

Acetamiprid is still available, as noted in the RHS paper from the link
in your paragraph below.

Ah, thanks Jeff. I must confess I didn't read that section beyond the
first few lines where it discussed imidacloprid and thiamethoxam
withdrawal, and I assumed all neonics had been withdrawn.

Many thanks,

I bought some "resolva" I have given two plants a spraying so I will
see how they turn uout.

I have been looking for a lens and will get one from Ebay if nothing
turns up.

No all the affected plants have the "bugs" though. The new growth when
pinched open reveals a very small black shoot inside, I assume the
thing is rotten.

Mildew makes sense. I have these growing in the original compost, the
habitat in Ireland is sandy soil. With the rain we have had lately,
maybe it's mildew and the bugs have come to take advantage of the
weakened new growth?

AB