GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tying roses and espaliers to horizontal wires (non-slip methods?) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/215721-tying-roses-espaliers-horizontal-wires-non-slip-methods.html)

[email protected] 25-09-2018 11:42 AM

Tying roses and espaliers to horizontal wires (non-slip methods?)

I've got horizontal training wires running along a wall. I have a couple of young espalier pear trees and a couple of climbing roses to train. The problem I keep experiencing, is that if I use string, it tends to slide along the wire over time, rather than remaining where I tied it. Does anyone have any tricks for solving this? I wondered about crimping some small pieces of lead sheet with a string-hole drilled in it, but I suspect there must be an easier solution...

TIA
Al

[email protected] 25-09-2018 03:11 PM

On Tuesday, 25 September 2018 11:42:24 UTC+1, wrote:
I've got horizontal training wires running along a wall. I have a couple of young espalier pear trees and a couple of climbing roses to train. The problem I keep experiencing, is that if I use string, it tends to slide along the wire over time, rather than remaining where I tied it. Does anyone have any tricks for solving this? I wondered about crimping some small pieces of lead sheet with a string-hole drilled in it, but I suspect there must be an easier solution...

TIA
Al

You can get hollow tubed plastic ties from most garden centre that do exactly what you want.

Jonathan

Vir Campestris 25-09-2018 09:27 PM

On 25/09/2018 11:42, wrote:
I've got horizontal training wires running along a wall. I have a couple of young espalier pear trees and a couple of climbing roses to train. The problem I keep experiencing, is that if I use string, it tends to slide along the wire over time, rather than remaining where I tied it. Does anyone have any tricks for solving this? I wondered about crimping some small pieces of lead sheet with a string-hole drilled in it, but I suspect there must be an easier solution...

I always tie the string to the wire with a rolling hitch. It seems to
work OK.

Andy

[email protected] 26-09-2018 01:11 PM

On Tuesday, September 25, 2018 at 9:27:56 PM UTC+1, Vir Campestris wrote:

I always tie the string to the wire with a rolling hitch. It seems to
work OK.

Thank you! Yes, after posting, and some further thought, it occurred to me that there might be a hitch that would work... I will definitely try the rolling hitch.

Al

[email protected] 26-09-2018 01:15 PM

On Tuesday, September 25, 2018 at 3:11:01 PM UTC+1, wrote:
You can get hollow tubed plastic ties from most garden centre that do exactly what you want.

Jonathan

Thank you; I must look out for those! Meanwhile, I'm going to try various hitches that may do the trick, such as the one Andy suggested.

Al

[email protected] 27-09-2018 08:59 AM

On Wednesday, 26 September 2018 13:15:06 UTC+1, wrote:
On Tuesday, September 25, 2018 at 3:11:01 PM UTC+1, wrote:
You can get hollow tubed plastic ties from most garden centre that do exactly what you want.

Jonathan

Thank you; I must look out for those! Meanwhile, I'm going to try various hitches that may do the trick, such as the one Andy suggested.

Al

The stuff I have got came in a plastic bag as a big loop and you pulled out the length you want and cut it off.

Jonathan