Old 29-09-2018, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Overflowing Compost Heaps

At our allotment most people have built compost heaps usually
constructed of three wooden pallets nailed together.
Most compost heaps are nearly overflowing and people are at a bit of
loss as to what to do next.
Its invariably too un-composted to use as compost, or its too damp to
burn on a bonfire.
Any suggestions as to some way forward please?
Ideally some kind of machine you can throw your heap in to and grind it
to some useable consistency or some such? Grateful for any
suggestions. Thanks.
Old 29-09-2018, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29 Sep 2018 21:28, john west wrote:
At our allotment most people have built compost heaps usually
constructed of three wooden pallets nailed together.
Most compost heaps are nearly overflowing and people are at a bit of
loss as to what to do next.
Its invariably too un-composted to use as compost, or its too damp to
burn on a bonfire.
Any suggestions as to some way forward please?
Ideally some kind of machine you can throw your heap in to and grind it
to some useable consistency or some such? Grateful for any
suggestions. Thanks.

This year it's been very hot and dry and the compost heaps haven't
composted very well, even our two which are each double that size at
least.
They should get going now but slowly as it's colder. A shredder would
reduce the pile considerably (still need composting) but you would need
a proper impact shredder not a household one. Hire shop?

Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 29-09-2018, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/09/2018 21:28, john west wrote:
At our allotment most people have built compost heaps usually
constructed of three wooden pallets nailed together.
Most compost heaps are nearly overflowing and people are at a bit of
loss as to what to do next.
Its invariably too un-composted to use as compost, or its too damp to
burn on a bonfire.
Any suggestions as to some way forward please?
Ideally some kind of machine you can throw your heap in to and grind it
to some useable consistency or some such?Â*Â* Grateful for any
suggestions.Â*Â* Thanks.

You may find that the bottom quarter to half of the heap is ready and
its only the top and outer side layers that requires more time.

Start combining the small heaps into one or more large heaps - the
bigger the initial heap of un-composted waste the faster it is likely to
work and reduce dramatically in volume. As the growing season is ending
combine all your new waste with your existing compost by mixing is
roughly in these larger heaps.

Alternatively just leave them overflowing. The volume will eventually
reduce over the next month or so and then you can just feed the overflow
back into the top.

Old 30-09-2018, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , lid
says...

At our allotment most people have built compost heaps usually
constructed of three wooden pallets nailed together.
Most compost heaps are nearly overflowing and people are at a bit of
loss as to what to do next.
Its invariably too un-composted to use as compost, or its too damp to
burn on a bonfire.
Any suggestions as to some way forward please?
Ideally some kind of machine you can throw your heap in to and grind it
to some useable consistency or some such? Grateful for any
suggestions. Thanks.

You will always need at least two compost heaps. An additional 2 or 3
pallets makes a two-bay heap, convenient to have them side by side.

When bay 1 is full, if you;'re really keen, turn it into the vacant
bay 2, *and cover it*. Now start filling the empty bay 1.

When 1 is full again, open up 2 to inspect. In my system. depending on
the time of year there might be a shallow (6") top skin of "still
recognisable" plant debris, if so I fork that out and set it aside. The
underneath material should be dark friable decomposed and ready for use;
empty it into barrows and dump it where you need it in the garden. Worms
will take it down. Now you have a new empty bay to fill again. You could
start it with that skinny layer you took off the top.

If your pallet bins are not decomposing the contents, you're not
applying enough material in the right way.

To keep the current heap active, as often as possible I apply a 6"
layer of some fresh green or hot material (lawn mowings; seaweed, cut
comfrey (I grow this just for composting and harvest several times in
the growing season) raked leaves, surplus pondweed, fresh manure when I
can get it(herbivore or poultry).

There are always people eager to give away compostable material if I
offer to clean it up or take it away (neighbours, lawn and garden
contractors with surplus grass or chipped material, stock farms or
stables). Some will even deliver it free, to save LA disposal costs. My
son's allotment group has a designated area where they accept such
deliveries.

I scavenge additional material such as layer-loads of harvested
nettles, thistle or willow herb infestations, livestock
bedding/flooring, the daggy woolly sweepings from a shearing shed. In
between those layers go kitchen waste, shredded paper, garden waste etc.

IME compost heaps need those regular fresh deep layers because each
will heat up (then cool) promoting decomposition of the whole heap.

For collecting compostable give-aways I save those commercial metre-
cube fibre sacks with HD handles. Many which contained heavy material
like sand or gravel are "single use only" so the empties get thrown or
given away by building trades. They will last a few more years for
lighter garden use.

Janet.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/09/2018 21:28, john west wrote:
At our allotment most people have built compost heaps usually
constructed of three wooden pallets nailed together.
Most compost heaps are nearly overflowing and people are at a bit of
loss as to what to do next.

Build another one next to it.

You need (at least) a pair of heaps one for putting stuff onto and one
maturing into decent compost after you have turned it once. I am lazy -
I have three and use them in rotation. My heap is usually hot although
it has failed by drying out a couple of times this year leaving layers
of uncomposted dry grass cuttings here and there.

Its invariably too un-composted to use as compost, or its too damp to
burn on a bonfire.
Any suggestions as to some way forward please?

Make another bay and fling it over into that (especially the rough and
barely rotted stuff at the top. A couple of feet down you may find that
the composting process has gone far enough to be usable as a mulch.

Ideally some kind of machine you can throw your heap in to and grind it
to some useable consistency or some such?Â*Â* Grateful for any
suggestions.Â*Â* Thanks.

Time, elbow grease to tun it over and extra space will do it. Probably
in time for spring. That is when I aim to have mine ready to use.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

compost heaps Fred United Kingdom 5 11-02-2008 08:38 PM
Overflowing Pond! [email protected] Ponds 7 17-04-2007 02:33 PM
Gases coming off compost heaps ? haylow50 United Kingdom 9 09-03-2004 09:12 AM
Mouldy bread and compost heaps. dommy United Kingdom 21 03-07-2003 01:24 AM
Musings on Compost Heaps (and the things you find in them) Sarah Dale United Kingdom 10 13-11-2002 01:22 PM