Old 07-10-2018, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Chayote Squash

Fellow allotmenteer has given us a couple of squash that I've managed
to ID as Chayote. He only speaks Portugese and I don't so it's
difficult getting much info.
Anyone know how these are best cooked?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
Old 08-10-2018, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:
Fellow allotmenteer has given us a couple of squash that I've managed
to ID as Chayote. He only speaks Portugese and I don't so it's
difficult getting much info.
Anyone know how these are best cooked?

At a guess, lightly stir-fried; Wikipedia implies they have more
texture than taste. Given his success, I may try them, but I doubt
that I will do so more than once - I am very happy with Tromboncino
d'Albenga as a courgette and summer squash alternative. Mine is still
cropping, and it is fairly versatile and less watery. Please could
you post what chayote tastes like when you have tried it?

Jane Grigson's Vegetable Cookery has recipes: young ones in salad,
others creole, stuffed like marrows, or poached in red wine like
pears.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8 Oct 2018 09:09, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:
Fellow allotmenteer has given us a couple of squash that I've managed
to ID as Chayote. He only speaks Portugese and I don't so it's
difficult getting much info.
Anyone know how these are best cooked?

At a guess, lightly stir-fried; Wikipedia implies they have more
texture than taste. Given his success, I may try them, but I doubt
that I will do so more than once - I am very happy with Tromboncino
d'Albenga as a courgette and summer squash alternative. Mine is still
cropping, and it is fairly versatile and less watery. Please could
you post what chayote tastes like when you have tried it?

Jane Grigson's Vegetable Cookery has recipes: young ones in salad,
others creole, stuffed like marrows, or poached in red wine like
pears.

Yes, Sue found a couple of recipies on the net so expect we will be
trying them soon. I'll let you know if they are worth growing.
He has grown them up sticks and over his shed on the plot and they
hang down, easy picking.
That's the same way I've grown Snake Gourds this year as
instructed by the waiters in our "Indian" restaurant. Not that they are
like snakes, more like giant pears. They like them, delivered us a free
chicken curry made with them and they were nice (cut in thin strips)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Chokos chayote FMurtz United Kingdom 11 28-08-2018 05:19 PM
How do I get my chayote to produce fruit? Al Tprk Gardening 2 18-08-2016 11:55 PM
Are there virus resistant squash seeds? Virus killing my squash! goldtech Gardening 10 12-04-2013 02:16 PM
frost damaged chayote Daniel Prince Edible Gardening 1 12-02-2007 07:21 PM
Chayote, choko, mirliton in the USA. Quentin Grady Edible Gardening 17 18-06-2003 02:20 AM