Old 11-10-2018, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Maypops!

This (Passiflora incarnata) is supposed to be self-sterile, but
mine has set fruit. No, I do NOT believe that there is another
in the vicinity :-)

I don't think that it will ripen, though.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/10/2018 15:37, Nick Maclaren wrote:
This (Passiflora incarnata) is supposed to be self-sterile, but
mine has set fruit. No, I do NOT believe that there is another
in the vicinity :-)

I don't think that it will ripen, though.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I found that with other self sterile passiflora that you do sometimes
get what appear to be fruit but they are empty and contain no seed or
pulp , but I have never managed to grow incanata so well done!

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall
Old 12-10-2018, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:

This (Passiflora incarnata) is supposed to be self-sterile, but
mine has set fruit. No, I do NOT believe that there is another
in the vicinity :-)

I don't think that it will ripen, though.

I found that with other self sterile passiflora that you do sometimes
get what appear to be fruit but they are empty and contain no seed or
pulp , but I have never managed to grow incanata so well done!

Thanks! Yes, it's probably empty. I failed several times, but am
growing it in the rain shadow of the eaves, under some Cyclamen coum
and a Garry elliptica. It's not an ideal aspect, as it faces north
west, but is the one I have. It gets sufficiently little direct rain
there that I almost never have to remove weeds :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-10-2018, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

My Passiflora "Clear Sky" has also set fruit, and one has ripened,
with 13 viable-looking seeds in it. I shall see whether I can get
them to grow next year.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-10-2018, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/10/18 13:43, Nick Maclaren wrote:
My Passiflora "Clear Sky" has also set fruit, and one has ripened,
with 13 viable-looking seeds in it. I shall see whether I can get
them to grow next year.

I see it's a tetraploid. Does that affect seed viability?

--

Jeff

Old 14-10-2018, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
On 14/10/18 13:43, Nick Maclaren wrote:
My Passiflora "Clear Sky" has also set fruit, and one has ripened,
with 13 viable-looking seeds in it. I shall see whether I can get
them to grow next year.

I see it's a tetraploid. Does that affect seed viability?

My understanding was that it was sterile, but I may have been
confusing it with another plant. Anyway, it's the first time it
has done it (in a sun-free location, too), and it will be quite
interesting to see if I can get any germination.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Nick Maclaren wrote:

My Passiflora "Clear Sky" has also set fruit, and one has ripened,
with 13 viable-looking seeds in it. I shall see whether I can get
them to grow next year.

I see it's a tetraploid. Does that affect seed viability?

My understanding was that it was sterile, but I may have been
confusing it with another plant. Anyway, it's the first time it
has done it (in a sun-free location, too), and it will be quite
interesting to see if I can get any germination.

I picked my maypop fruit, on the grounds that it isn't going to
ripen further, and it has some very viable-looking seeds in it.
The chances of there being another P. incarnata in insect distance
is very low, so I wonder if it really IS always self-sterile, can
be induced to set (non-viable) seed by another species, or might
be occasionally self-fertile. I shall see about both next year.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.