GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Where is everyone? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/215761-where-everyone.html)

MuddyMike 26-10-2018 12:14 PM

Where is everyone?

Having had a busy couple of years I've not looked in here much lately
but have now moved house to one with an even bigger garden which seem to
contain every variety of shrub that will grow! I thought I'd pop in to
see what's happening.

Three days now and nothing?

What's gone wrong it used to be so busy?

Mike

Jim S 26-10-2018 02:14 PM

Where is everyone?

On Fri, 26 Oct 2018 12:14:46 +0100, Muddymike wrote:

Having had a busy couple of years I've not looked in here much lately
but have now moved house to one with an even bigger garden which seem to
contain every variety of shrub that will grow! I thought I'd pop in to
see what's happening.

Three days now and nothing?

What's gone wrong it used to be so busy?

Mike

OK here's a couple for you
1. I have grown hardy fuchsias for 40 years. This year, some in hanging
baskets refused to flower and some in the garden are only flowering now and
then on the sides and not high-up. I have done nothing different fron usual
and some varieties are fine.
2. I need to put some dwarf narcissi bulbs in existing tubs, but they've
not stopped their summer bedding yet. Do I wait or cut-back?

North East coast of England. Never have frosts hard enough to kill the
fuchsias even in baskets.
--
Jim S

Janet 26-10-2018 02:15 PM

Where is everyone?

In article ,
says...

Having had a busy couple of years I've not looked in here much lately
but have now moved house to one with an even bigger garden which seem to
contain every variety of shrub that will grow! I thought I'd pop in to
see what's happening.

Three days now and nothing?

What's gone wrong it used to be so busy?

The chatterati are long gone, composted, or buried in twitter or FB.

Only some of the old urg hands-on diggers and delvers are left, mostly
older and feebler so (speaking for me) I have to spend more time doing
it and have less energy and time to talk about it. URG old-timers left
over from your day include me, Nick, Chris and Charlie.

We don't see many newbies on urg. They're probably all staring at their
mobile phone looking for an app that can kill slugs."Alexa, can you tell
me if it's still raining".

Janet (still on Arran).

Jeff Layman[_2_] 26-10-2018 03:13 PM

Where is everyone?

On 26/10/18 14:15, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

Having had a busy couple of years I've not looked in here much lately
but have now moved house to one with an even bigger garden which seem to
contain every variety of shrub that will grow! I thought I'd pop in to
see what's happening.

Three days now and nothing?

What's gone wrong it used to be so busy?

The chatterati are long gone, composted, or buried in twitter or FB.

Only some of the old urg hands-on diggers and delvers are left, mostly
older and feebler so (speaking for me) I have to spend more time doing
it and have less energy and time to talk about it. URG old-timers left
over from your day include me, Nick, Chris and Charlie.

We don't see many newbies on urg. They're probably all staring at their
mobile phone looking for an app that can kill slugs."Alexa, can you tell
me if it's still raining".

Even the odd messages from
www.homegroanersslug.com seem to be
conspicuous by their absence over the last couple off months. Not that
I'm complaining about it... ;-)

--

Jeff

Jeff Layman[_2_] 26-10-2018 03:28 PM

Where is everyone?

On 26/10/18 14:14, Jim S wrote:
On Fri, 26 Oct 2018 12:14:46 +0100, Muddymike wrote:

Having had a busy couple of years I've not looked in here much lately
but have now moved house to one with an even bigger garden which seem to
contain every variety of shrub that will grow! I thought I'd pop in to
see what's happening.

Three days now and nothing?

What's gone wrong it used to be so busy?

Mike

OK here's a couple for you
1. I have grown hardy fuchsias for 40 years. This year, some in hanging
baskets refused to flower and some in the garden are only flowering now and
then on the sides and not high-up. I have done nothing different fron usual
and some varieties are fine.

It's the weird weather. Some things you might have expected to do well
haven't, whilst others have romped away. Although I had a Hibiscus
moscheutos "Galaxy" with a couple of smallish flowers last year, this
year I had over 50 flowers on it - mostly around 16 - 18 cm in diameter.
Last year was the first time it had flowered, even though it is at least
a dozen years old. And I've had Decaisnea fargesii and Aesculus pavia
"atrosanguinea" set seed for the first time ever (the latter plant is
well over 20 years old). I reckon it was the hot weather.

2. I need to put some dwarf narcissi bulbs in existing tubs, but they've
not stopped their summer bedding yet. Do I wait or cut-back?

Why not just move the soil aside and drop the bulbs in, then put the
soil back?

North East coast of England. Never have frosts hard enough to kill the
fuchsias even in baskets.

But I bet they don't like the January nor'easters...

--

Jeff

Mr Pounder Esquire 26-10-2018 05:05 PM

Where is everyone?

Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

Having had a busy couple of years I've not looked in here much lately
but have now moved house to one with an even bigger garden which
seem to contain every variety of shrub that will grow! I thought I'd
pop in to see what's happening.

Three days now and nothing?

What's gone wrong it used to be so busy?

The chatterati are long gone, composted, or buried in twitter or FB.

Only some of the old urg hands-on diggers and delvers are left, mostly
older and feebler so (speaking for me) I have to spend more time doing
it and have less energy and time to talk about it. URG old-timers
left over from your day include me, Nick, Chris and Charlie.

We don't see many newbies on urg. They're probably all staring at
their mobile phone looking for an app that can kill slugs."Alexa, can
you tell me if it's still raining".

Janet (still on Arran).

HA! No newbies! Wonder why.
I remember very politely asking for help here and I remember being ignored.
Chris Hogg on the DIY group helped me out. Respects to Chris and thank you.

Jim S 26-10-2018 06:04 PM

Where is everyone?

On Fri, 26 Oct 2018 15:28:48 +0100, Jeff Layman wrote:

On 26/10/18 14:14, Jim S wrote:
[...]

Not lost one yet. They'll take the cold, but not dry roots.
--
Jim S

Roger Tonkin[_2_] 26-10-2018 07:51 PM

Where is everyone?

In article ,
says...

Having had a busy couple of years I've not looked in here much lately
but have now moved house to one with an even bigger garden which seem to
contain every variety of shrub that will grow! I thought I'd pop in to
see what's happening.

Three days now and nothing?

What's gone wrong it used to be so busy?

Mike

I posted here on 23rd, and had 6 mainly useful replies, plus of
course the now standard off-topic answer.

:)

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

---
https://www.avg.com

Vir Campestris 26-10-2018 09:17 PM

Where is everyone?

On 26/10/2018 12:14, Muddymike wrote:
What's gone wrong it used to be so busy?

Dunno.

Me? I've got indoor work scheduled. I've levelled the new lawn - made of
the earth that used to be under the old assorted garage/sheds/etc - and
rotavated it. With a rental rotavator with wheel drive, and that
struggled. Especially on the whole bricks. I had to dig the complete
paving slab out... and the number of rocks is amazing. I left any under
2", but still got several barrow loads. Plus a few clay pipes, old
bottles, etc.

The driver who dug it up reckoned there was 65 tons. I seem to have got
fitter...

It's now seeded, and first shots are showing. perhaps this winter will
show me whether the new level will cure the flooding.

Indoors? Well, I have a nice new man cave. Garage is tidy enough to get
my car in, all the stuff I had in the house is in the workshop (along
with the tumble drier, which has its own extractor fan) and my books and
computer are here in the study. Which is a lot better insulated than any
part of the house.

But I'm short of shelves and cupboards. Big garden tools are on the
wall, but the small ones are still all in a box. Also SWMBO wants me to
rip up a knackered old floor & replace it. It's a mixture of oak too bad
not to cover, 3/8" pine full of worm, and chipboard where the plumbers
and sparkies were too lazy.

Andy

[email protected] 27-10-2018 09:47 AM

Where is everyone?

In message
Muddymike wrote:

Having had a busy couple of years I've not looked in here much lately
but have now moved house to one with an even bigger garden which seem to
contain every variety of shrub that will grow! I thought I'd pop in to
see what's happening.

Three days now and nothing?

What's gone wrong it used to be so busy?

Mike

I'm still lurking, but I know nowt so post nowt but I read most posts.

--
Stephen D Hull

Bob Hobden[_6_] 27-10-2018 01:25 PM

Where is everyone?

On 26 Oct 2018 12:14, Muddymike wrote:
Having had a busy couple of years I've not looked in here much lately
but have now moved house to one with an even bigger garden which seem to
contain every variety of shrub that will grow! I thought I'd pop in to
see what's happening.

Three days now and nothing?

What's gone wrong it used to be so busy?

Still here, although it's not as easy as it used to be getting to
Newsgroups when Outlook Express could do it (although it
handled them wrongly).
I even have to use Thunderbird for emails now Microsoft haven't got a
decent email client program.

I did find the NewsgroupsRF App for Windows which is how I now view and
post here.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Derek[_6_] 27-10-2018 05:29 PM

Where is everyone?

On Fri, 26 Oct 2018 14:14:26 +0100, Jim S wrote:

OK here's a couple for you
1. I have grown hardy fuchsias for 40 years. This year, some in hanging
baskets refused to flower and some in the garden are only flowering now and
then on the sides and not high-up.

I have grown fuchsias for the last thirty years, and you are not the
only one noticing its not been a good year, plants look good but poor
flowering.
No varitiey has really done well, I have over fourty different Hardy
and many more tender. So it must be down to very hot summer,
But fingers crossed next year is better.

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 28-10-2018 06:54 AM

Where is everyone?

On 27/10/2018 13:25, Bob Hobden wrote:
On 26 Oct 2018 12:14, Muddymike wrote:
Having had a busy couple of years I've not looked in here much lately
but have now moved house to one with an even bigger garden which seem to
contain every variety of shrub that will grow! I thought I'd pop in to
see what's happening.

Three days now and nothing?

What's gone wrong it used to be so busy?

Still here, although it's not as easy as it used to be getting to
Newsgroups when Outlook Express could do it (although it
handled them wrongly).
I even have to use Thunderbird for emails now Microsoft haven't got a
decent email client program.

I did find the NewsgroupsRF App for Windows which is how I now view and
post here.

Like Bob I have found it hard to hang in there, had to change to
Thunderbird (which I now quite like!) then various news accounts seem to
have closed now using news.eternal-september.org which seems a bit
intermittent with how messages arrive.

Still good to keep in touch (and I dont particularly like facebook!)

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall

MuddyMike 29-10-2018 08:57 AM

Where is everyone?

On 26/10/2018 14:15, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

I cant find the "like" button :-)

Mike

David Hill 29-10-2018 01:51 PM

Where is everyone?

On 29/10/2018 08:57, Muddymike wrote:
On 26/10/2018 14:15, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

Having had a busy couple of years I've not looked in here much lately
but have now moved house to one with an even bigger garden which seem to
contain every variety of shrub that will grow! I thought I'd pop in to
see what's happening.

Three days now and nothing?

What's gone wrong it used to be so busy?

Â*Â* The chatterati are long gone, composted, or buried in twitter or FB.

Â* Only some of the old urg hands-on diggers and delvers are left, mostly
older and feebler so (speaking for me) I have to spend more time doing
it andÂ* have less energy and time to talk about it.Â* URG old-timers left
over from your day include me, Nick, Chris and Charlie.

Â* We don't see many newbies on urg. They're probably all staring at their
mobile phone looking for an app that can kill slugs."Alexa, can you tell
me if it's still raining".

Â*Â* Janet (still on Arran).

I cant find the "like" button :-)

Mike

Still around, just pottering and keeping busy like others.
I tried Facebook for all of 2 weeks and came off, not for me, to much
sensless blather.
I'm with Thunderbird as I have been for years and am using Freie
Universität Berlin Zentraleinrichtung für Datenverarbeitung ZEDAT for
news groups, costs 10 Euro