GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Odd stories of the botanic kind? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/215803-odd-stories-botanic-kind.html)

rhocks 29-11-2018 01:32 AM

Odd stories of the botanic kind?

Hi, how can there be eighteen people viewing at 1:30am in the UK?

I am a new member as you can see, here because I am designing my very first game and was looking for source material by those who know best.

I would like to create a fast and fun game where the player has to protect their garden from pests, this doesn't just have to be people (I have learned just how jealous some gardeners are of their rivals during competition season) and wanted to ask about any funny stories that people had encountered.

Thanks!

Tom Gardner[_2_] 29-11-2018 09:16 AM

On 29/11/18 01:32, rhocks wrote:
Hi, how can there be eighteen people viewing at 1:30am in the UK?

I am a new member as you can see, here because I am designing my very
first game and was looking for source material by those who know best.

I would like to create a fast and fun game where the player has to
protect their garden from pests, this doesn't just have to be people (I
have learned just how jealous some gardeners are of their rivals during
competition season) and wanted to ask about any funny stories that
people had encountered.

"What is a snail", by AP Herbert. Later remade as an episode
of "Misleading Cases".

p171 in
https://archive.org/download/in.erne...common-Law.pdf

or (but I haven't listened to it)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQDbwaMdz2I

Janet 29-11-2018 05:00 PM

Odd stories of the botanic kind?

In article , rhocks.1674fa12
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

Hi, how can there be eighteen people viewing at 1:30am in the UK?

You tell us, you were there.

I am a new member as you can see, here because I am designing my very
first game and was looking for source material by those who know best.

Oh, I see. It's a business proposition.

I would like to create a fast and fun game where the player has to
protect their garden from pests, this doesn't just have to be people (I
have learned just how jealous some gardeners are of their rivals during
competition season) and wanted to ask about any funny stories that
people had encountered.

Thanks!

How much are you willing to pay?

Janet.

rhocks 30-11-2018 02:14 AM

Hi Janet, everybody wants money, including my landlord. I cannot pay, I'm just looking for ideas from anybody who cares to share any stories. I'm not a Hollywood studio and I can't 3D animate to the letter, only interpret what people say and try to make it into a challenge, which for me will be a challenge in itself :)

This week we got a lot of wind, nothing came up, but the garden's a bit of a mess, just stuff like that really.

rhocks 30-11-2018 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Gardner[_2_] (Post 1030141)
On 29/11/18 01:32, rhocks wrote:
Hi, how can there be eighteen people viewing at 1:30am in the UK?

I am a new member as you can see, here because I am designing my very
first game and was looking for source material by those who know best.

I would like to create a fast and fun game where the player has to
protect their garden from pests, this doesn't just have to be people (I
have learned just how jealous some gardeners are of their rivals during
competition season) and wanted to ask about any funny stories that
people had encountered.

"What is a snail", by AP Herbert. Later remade as an episode
of "Misleading Cases".

p171 in
https://archive.org/download/in.erne...common-Law.pdf

or (but I haven't listened to it)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQDbwaMdz2I

Hi Tom, I love John Le Mesurier, I shall enjoy that recording in the morrow!

However, that tome you kindly gave me to read is a little too much I have to say, but I'll scan through none the less.

Thanks for helping me out out, it looks like fertile brain food!

rhocks 30-11-2018 05:26 PM

Hi Tom, I listened to the 1971 recording today and it was quite funny, I don't want to spoil it for you but I have now decided the currency of the game will be Snails.

These can be used to defeat you neighbour, or traded with the French (that's all I'm going to say, you'll have to listen to it to understand).

I will also include Hollyhock flowers as I like the name, these featuring heavily in the programme.

It's funny how lawyers can twist events to their favour.

Nick Maclaren[_5_] 30-11-2018 07:25 PM

Odd stories of the botanic kind?

In article ,
rhocks wrote:

Hi Tom, I listened to the 1971 recording today and it was quite funny, I
don't want to spoil it for you but I have now decided the currency of
the game will be Snails.

These can be used to defeat you neighbour, or traded with the French
(that's all I'm going to say, you'll have to listen to it to
understand).

Not at all - I have the book :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

rhocks 30-11-2018 11:35 PM

I think a trade based system could work well: undermining neighbouring competitors.

I found out that gophers/moles will pull carrots from below the soil, planting the seeds in the direction of a neighbouring fence the burrowers could be directed away from your garden, the tunnel then flooded with water, which would cause a headache for that neighbour (sort of like getting a "Tetris" which pressures your opponent).

All in the exaggerated spirit of multiplayer of course !

Vir Campestris 02-12-2018 09:36 PM

On 30/11/2018 23:35, rhocks wrote:
I found out that gophers/moles will pull carrots from below the soil,

Gophers might. Moles are carnivores, and won't touch carrots.

Gophers are also somewhat rare in the UK, and this is UK.rec.gardening...

Mind, that hasn't stopped Disney adding them to Winnie the Poo!

Andy

rhocks 03-12-2018 04:15 AM

Yes, that's right, but we get a lot of American media here and hopefully the player will be too busy taking care of their Kingdom to notice :)

Artistic licence.

alan_m 03-12-2018 12:48 PM

On 02/12/2018 21:36, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 30/11/2018 23:35, rhocks wrote:
I found out that gophers/moles will pull carrots from below the soil,

Gophers might. Moles are carnivores, and won't touch carrots.

Listen to Jasper Carrot on his mole
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fePU5CIHpas

Nick Maclaren[_5_] 03-12-2018 02:14 PM

alan_m wrote:
On 02/12/2018 21:36, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 30/11/2018 23:35, rhocks wrote:
I found out that gophers/moles will pull carrots from below the soil,

Gophers might. Moles are carnivores, and won't touch carrots.

Listen to Jasper Carrot on his mole
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fePU5CIHpas

I thought that everybody knew that the way to eliminate moles was
to plant mandrakes. When they pull them below the surface, the
scream kills the mole. It's important not to stand too close, of
course.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

rhocks 07-12-2018 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Maclaren[_5_] (Post 1030158)
In article ,
alan_m
wrote:
On 02/12/2018 21:36, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 30/11/2018 23:35, rhocks wrote:
I found out that gophers/moles will pull carrots from below the soil,

Gophers might. Moles are carnivores, and won't touch carrots.

Listen to Jasper Carrot on his mole
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fePU5CIHpas

I thought that everybody knew that the way to eliminate moles was
to plant mandrakes. When they pull them below the surface, the
scream kills the mole. It's important not to stand too close, of
course.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

ho ho, I've seen one in real life in the Harry Potter Museum just outside London, animatronics is the best !

rhocks 07-12-2018 01:44 AM

I've not heard from Jasper for ages, I didn't know he still worked?