Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old 29-11-2018, 02:32 AM
Registered User
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Nov 2018
Posts: 8
Default Odd stories of the botanic kind?

Hi, how can there be eighteen people viewing at 1:30am in the UK?

I am a new member as you can see, here because I am designing my very first game and was looking for source material by those who know best.

I would like to create a fast and fun game where the player has to protect their garden from pests, this doesn't just have to be people (I have learned just how jealous some gardeners are of their rivals during competition season) and wanted to ask about any funny stories that people had encountered.

Thanks!

  #2   Report Post  
Old 29-11-2018, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Feb 2009
Posts: 196
Default Odd stories of the botanic kind?

On 29/11/18 01:32, rhocks wrote:
Hi, how can there be eighteen people viewing at 1:30am in the UK?

I am a new member as you can see, here because I am designing my very
first game and was looking for source material by those who know best.

I would like to create a fast and fun game where the player has to
protect their garden from pests, this doesn't just have to be people (I
have learned just how jealous some gardeners are of their rivals during
competition season) and wanted to ask about any funny stories that
people had encountered.


"What is a snail", by AP Herbert. Later remade as an episode
of "Misleading Cases".

p171 in
https://archive.org/download/in.erne...common-Law.pdf

or (but I haven't listened to it)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQDbwaMdz2I
  #3   Report Post  
Old 29-11-2018, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2015
Posts: 213
Default Odd stories of the botanic kind?

In article , rhocks.1674fa12
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

Hi, how can there be eighteen people viewing at 1:30am in the UK?


You tell us, you were there.

I am a new member as you can see, here because I am designing my very
first game and was looking for source material by those who know best.


Oh, I see. It's a business proposition.

I would like to create a fast and fun game where the player has to
protect their garden from pests, this doesn't just have to be people (I
have learned just how jealous some gardeners are of their rivals during
competition season) and wanted to ask about any funny stories that
people had encountered.

Thanks!


How much are you willing to pay?

Janet.

  #4   Report Post  
Old 30-11-2018, 03:14 AM
Registered User
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Nov 2018
Posts: 8
Default

Hi Janet, everybody wants money, including my landlord. I cannot pay, I'm just looking for ideas from anybody who cares to share any stories. I'm not a Hollywood studio and I can't 3D animate to the letter, only interpret what people say and try to make it into a challenge, which for me will be a challenge in itself

This week we got a lot of wind, nothing came up, but the garden's a bit of a mess, just stuff like that really.
  #5   Report Post  
Old 30-11-2018, 03:19 AM
Registered User
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Nov 2018
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Gardner[_2_] View Post
On 29/11/18 01:32, rhocks wrote:
Hi, how can there be eighteen people viewing at 1:30am in the UK?

I am a new member as you can see, here because I am designing my very
first game and was looking for source material by those who know best.

I would like to create a fast and fun game where the player has to
protect their garden from pests, this doesn't just have to be people (I
have learned just how jealous some gardeners are of their rivals during
competition season) and wanted to ask about any funny stories that
people had encountered.


"What is a snail", by AP Herbert. Later remade as an episode
of "Misleading Cases".

p171 in
https://archive.org/download/in.erne...common-Law.pdf

or (but I haven't listened to it)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQDbwaMdz2I

Hi Tom, I love John Le Mesurier, I shall enjoy that recording in the morrow!

However, that tome you kindly gave me to read is a little too much I have to say, but I'll scan through none the less.

Thanks for helping me out out, it looks like fertile brain food!


  #6   Report Post  
Old 30-11-2018, 06:26 PM
Registered User
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Nov 2018
Posts: 8
Default

Hi Tom, I listened to the 1971 recording today and it was quite funny, I don't want to spoil it for you but I have now decided the currency of the game will be Snails.

These can be used to defeat you neighbour, or traded with the French (that's all I'm going to say, you'll have to listen to it to understand).

I will also include Hollyhock flowers as I like the name, these featuring heavily in the programme.

It's funny how lawyers can twist events to their favour.
  #7   Report Post  
Old 30-11-2018, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Oct 2015
Posts: 345
Default Odd stories of the botanic kind?

In article ,
rhocks wrote:

Hi Tom, I listened to the 1971 recording today and it was quite funny, I
don't want to spoil it for you but I have now decided the currency of
the game will be Snails.

These can be used to defeat you neighbour, or traded with the French
(that's all I'm going to say, you'll have to listen to it to
understand).


Not at all - I have the book :-)


Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
  #8   Report Post  
Old 01-12-2018, 12:35 AM
Registered User
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Nov 2018
Posts: 8
Default

I think a trade based system could work well: undermining neighbouring competitors.

I found out that gophers/moles will pull carrots from below the soil, planting the seeds in the direction of a neighbouring fence the burrowers could be directed away from your garden, the tunnel then flooded with water, which would cause a headache for that neighbour (sort of like getting a "Tetris" which pressures your opponent).

All in the exaggerated spirit of multiplayer of course !
  #9   Report Post  
Old 02-12-2018, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Mar 2014
Posts: 188
Default Odd stories of the botanic kind?

On 30/11/2018 23:35, rhocks wrote:
I found out that gophers/moles will pull carrots from below the soil,


Gophers might. Moles are carnivores, and won't touch carrots.

Gophers are also somewhat rare in the UK, and this is UK.rec.gardening...

Mind, that hasn't stopped Disney adding them to Winnie the Poo!

Andy
  #10   Report Post  
Old 03-12-2018, 05:15 AM
Registered User
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Nov 2018
Posts: 8
Default

Yes, that's right, but we get a lot of American media here and hopefully the player will be too busy taking care of their Kingdom to notice

Artistic licence.


  #11   Report Post  
Old 03-12-2018, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Aug 2014
Posts: 84
Default Odd stories of the botanic kind?

On 02/12/2018 21:36, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 30/11/2018 23:35, rhocks wrote:
I found out that gophers/moles will pull carrots from below the soil,


Gophers might. Moles are carnivores, and won't touch carrots.


Listen to Jasper Carrot on his mole
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fePU5CIHpas

--
mailto : news {at} admac {dot} myzen {dot} co {dot} uk
  #12   Report Post  
Old 03-12-2018, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Oct 2015
Posts: 345
Default Odd stories of the botanic kind?

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
On 02/12/2018 21:36, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 30/11/2018 23:35, rhocks wrote:
I found out that gophers/moles will pull carrots from below the soil,


Gophers might. Moles are carnivores, and won't touch carrots.


Listen to Jasper Carrot on his mole
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fePU5CIHpas


I thought that everybody knew that the way to eliminate moles was
to plant mandrakes. When they pull them below the surface, the
scream kills the mole. It's important not to stand too close, of
course.


Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
  #13   Report Post  
Old 07-12-2018, 02:41 AM
Registered User
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Nov 2018
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Maclaren[_5_] View Post
In article ,
alan_m
wrote:
On 02/12/2018 21:36, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 30/11/2018 23:35, rhocks wrote:
I found out that gophers/moles will pull carrots from below the soil,


Gophers might. Moles are carnivores, and won't touch carrots.


Listen to Jasper Carrot on his mole
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fePU5CIHpas

I thought that everybody knew that the way to eliminate moles was
to plant mandrakes. When they pull them below the surface, the
scream kills the mole. It's important not to stand too close, of
course.


Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
ho ho, I've seen one in real life in the Harry Potter Museum just outside London, animatronics is the best !
  #14   Report Post  
Old 07-12-2018, 02:44 AM
Registered User
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Nov 2018
Posts: 8
Default

I've not heard from Jasper for ages, I didn't know he still worked?


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Odd kind of clover invading my lawn... AL_n United Kingdom 11 29-06-2014 11:39 PM
Advice needed on odd problem - Need some kind of rustproof clips to grip about 3/8" steel rod tightly & neatly I Love Lucy Lawns 14 25-07-2006 04:40 PM
My Worst Planted Aquarium Mistake (Please Contribute Stories!) Dave Millman Freshwater Aquaria Plants 19 09-12-2004 05:59 AM
Elm Tree stories RoyDMercer Lawns 2 18-04-2004 05:04 PM
New Thread: Funniest Orchid Stories Diana Kulaga Orchids 10 08-10-2003 12:09 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 GardenBanter.co.uk.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Gardening"

 

Copyright © 2017