Old 22-12-2018, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Metaldehyde

On the way out:
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/restrictions-on-the-use-of-metaldehyde-to-protect-wildlife

It was ok against slugs, unless there was prolonged wet weather, but
useless against snails. Ferric phosphate is what's left, and appears to
be active against both.

--

Jeff
Old 22-12-2018, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 22 Dec 2018 16:27:13 +0000, Jeff Layman wrote:

On the way out:
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/r...on-the-use-of-

metaldehyde-to-protect-wildlife

It was ok against slugs, unless there was prolonged wet weather, but
useless against snails. Ferric phosphate is what's left, and appears to
be active against both.

Just in the last few years I have been growing Teasels (save the seeds).

They appear to eat slugs : that is, they have parts where rain water
collects, and anything that falls in get digested. Including slugs -
though they be small ones.
Old 22-12-2018, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22 Dec 2018 16:27, Jeff Layman wrote:
On the way out:
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/restrictions-on-the-use-of-metaldehyde-to-protect-wildlife

It was ok against slugs, unless there was prolonged wet weather, but
useless against snails. Ferric phosphate is what's left, and appears to
be active against both.

In my experience the alternative does not work at all, maybe I was just
unlucky.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden