Old 05-02-2019, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sand for sticky borders

A chap I do a bit of gardening for had a couple of his borders flooded
last year by a change in subterranean water flow. That has been fixed,
but the borders are still "sticky".

He wants to dig sand into the borders. Fine, but he has specified
"horticultural sand". I think it would save him money if I just used
ordinary sharp (concreting) sand from a builder's merchant. What does
the team think?

TIA

John

Old 05-02-2019, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 05 Feb 2019 10:49:20 +0000, Another John wrote:

A chap I do a bit of gardening for had a couple of his borders flooded
last year by a change in subterranean water flow. That has been fixed,
but the borders are still "sticky".

He wants to dig sand into the borders. Fine, but he has specified
"horticultural sand". I think it would save him money if I just used
ordinary sharp (concreting) sand from a builder's merchant. What does
the team think?

TIA

John

Personally I would use lime if the stickyness is due to clay.
--
Jim S
Old 05-02-2019, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/02/19 11:02, Jim S wrote:
On Tue, 05 Feb 2019 10:49:20 +0000, Another John wrote:

A chap I do a bit of gardening for had a couple of his borders flooded
last year by a change in subterranean water flow. That has been fixed,
but the borders are still "sticky".

He wants to dig sand into the borders. Fine, but he has specified
"horticultural sand". I think it would save him money if I just used
ordinary sharp (concreting) sand from a builder's merchant. What does
the team think?

TIA

John

Personally I would use lime if the stickyness is due to clay.

Lime? Surely you are referring to gypsum ("claybreaker"). This will
still add calcium to the soil, but won't affect the pH as lime would.

--

Jeff
Old 05-02-2019, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/02/2019 10:49, Another John wrote:
A chap I do a bit of gardening for had a couple of his borders flooded
last year by a change in subterranean water flow. That has been fixed,
but the borders are still "sticky".

He wants to dig sand into the borders. Fine, but he has specified
"horticultural sand". I think it would save him money if I just used
ordinary sharp (concreting) sand from a builder's merchant. What does
the team think?

Sand is hard work and the worms are not so keen to work it in for you.

Spent mushroom compost or horticultural compost from a garden centre
that really grows plants for sale (as opposed to importing them) are the
best cheap options for stuff to lighten the soil. You can sort of get
away with a rough mulch after just breaking up the clay into spade sized
lumps as well since worms and weather will mix it up for you eventually.

You want a sharp grit sand if the aim is to improve drainage. Building
sand tends to have a bit too much fines in it (which is great for making
concrete and mortar set but not ideal in a clay soil).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 05-02-2019, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/02/19 10:49, Another John wrote:
A chap I do a bit of gardening for had a couple of his borders flooded
last year by a change in subterranean water flow. That has been fixed,
but the borders are still "sticky".

He wants to dig sand into the borders. Fine, but he has specified
"horticultural sand". I think it would save him money if I just used
ordinary sharp (concreting) sand from a builder's merchant. What does
the team think?

TIA

John

You have to be a little careful with sand from builder's merchants. The
fine deep-yellow sand may have been dredged from the sea, and so will be
more than a little salty. Also, if fine, it will probably add to the
stickiness problems.

True "sharp sand" will be a lot better physically as it will contain a
range of particle sizes. It might still have been dredged, though, so
might contain some salt.

FWIW, I use Wickes sharp sand for mixing composts as it's so cheap, and
have never seen a "salt" problem with it.

--

Jeff

Old 05-02-2019, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Another John wrote:
A chap I do a bit of gardening for had a couple of his borders flooded
last year by a change in subterranean water flow. That has been fixed,
but the borders are still "sticky".

He wants to dig sand into the borders. Fine, but he has specified
"horticultural sand". I think it would save him money if I just used
ordinary sharp (concreting) sand from a builder's merchant. What does
the team think?

Yes, sharp sand is the stuff, but the problem is that you need a LOT
(or of anything, else for that matter) to make any difference.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 5 Feb 2019 11:55:48 +0000, Jeff Layman wrote:

On 05/02/19 11:02, Jim S wrote:
On Tue, 05 Feb 2019 10:49:20 +0000, Another John wrote:

A chap I do a bit of gardening for had a couple of his borders flooded
last year by a change in subterranean water flow. That has been fixed,
but the borders are still "sticky".

He wants to dig sand into the borders. Fine, but he has specified
"horticultural sand". I think it would save him money if I just used
ordinary sharp (concreting) sand from a builder's merchant. What does
the team think?

TIA

John

Personally I would use lime if the stickyness is due to clay.

Lime? Surely you are referring to gypsum ("claybreaker"). This will
still add calcium to the soil, but won't affect the pH as lime would.

Hydrated lime is what I mean. Ask westcountry farmers.
Calcified seaweed is also used, but more expensive.
--
Jim S
Old 06-02-2019, 04:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/02/19 11:02, Jim S wrote:
On Tue, 05 Feb 2019 10:49:20 +0000, Another John wrote:

A chap I do a bit of gardening for had a couple of his borders flooded
last year by a change in subterranean water flow. That has been fixed,
but the borders are still "sticky".

He wants to dig sand into the borders. Fine, but he has specified
"horticultural sand". I think it would save him money if I just used
ordinary sharp (concreting) sand from a builder's merchant. What does
the team think?

TIA

John

Personally I would use lime if the stickyness is due to clay.

Lime? Surely you are referring to gypsum ("claybreaker"). This will
still add calcium to the soil, but won't affect the pH as lime would.

Hydrated lime is what I mean. Ask westcountry farmers.
Calcified seaweed is also used, but more expensive.

In this (Rugby) part of the world, the clay is intermingled with lime and
additional lime would be counterproductive (one mile away from the country's
largest and Europe's second largest cement works, which made use of the local
geology). Gypsum has a reasonable effect as a de-flocculent in clay here, but
organic matter seems to be far more efficacious.

Mark Rand
--
RTFM
Old 06-02-2019, 08:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 06 Feb 2019 03:15:47 +0000, Mark Rand
wrote:
Gypsum has a reasonable effect as a de-flocculent in clay here, but

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

organic matter seems to be far more efficacious.

Mark Rand

ITYM flocculant

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall, looking E, Sheltered and partially shaded by trees to the W and SW
Old 06-02-2019, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
Gypsum has a reasonable effect as a de-flocculent in clay here, but

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

organic matter seems to be far more efficacious.

Mark Rand

ITYM flocculant

Brain was tired :-)

Mark Rand
--
RTFM

Old 06-02-2019, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 06 Feb 2019 15:04:31 +0000, Bob Hobden
wrote:

On 5 Feb 2019 12:08, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,
Another John wrote:
A chap I do a bit of gardening for had a couple of his borders

flooded
last year by a change in subterranean water flow. That has been

fixed,
but the borders are still "sticky".

He wants to dig sand into the borders. Fine, but he has specified
"horticultural sand". I think it would save him money if I just used
ordinary sharp (concreting) sand from a builder's merchant. What does
the team think?

Yes, sharp sand is the stuff, but the problem is that you need a LOT
(or of anything, else for that matter) to make any difference.

That is the problem. However sand is a permanent fix from what I've
seen whereas composts get broken down and will need renewing, they will
also affect the pH making it more acid and clay is usually acid anyway.

As NM said, you need a lot of sand to make a difference. A coarse
grit-sand is better than builders' sand. Old gardeners' saying: "sand
on clay is thrown away". Grit-sand plus compost is the way to go. Not
all clays are acid, btw. The only way to be sure is a pH test.

Old 07-02-2019, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Another John wrote:
[...]

Ive always considered builders sand to be the name of soft sand -
rounded grains that cump together when damp and suitable for bricklaying
but unsuitable for this application.

https://www.buildbase.co.uk/building...100010231-0000

Sharp sand, which is also available from builders merchants, has sharp
grains (and a smaller mix of smaller rounded grains) and is more suited
to this application. In my experience it can vary a lot. Around my way
it tends to be yellow in colour and relatively small sharp grains which
will cut skin if you rub it between two fingers. I recently purchased
some sharp sand 200 miles away whilst staying with friends and it was
red in colour with larger grains.

https://www.buildbase.co.uk/sharp-sand-100010232-0000

Ballast which is a mix of sand and large shingle.

https://www.buildbase.co.uk/ballast-100010234-0000

As for a previous warning on salt, if it is going to cause a problem in
a garden it is going to cause greater problems when using it for
building! The sand will have been washed.

Old 07-02-2019, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 7 Feb 2019 08:42:10 +0000, alan_m
wrote:

As for a previous warning on salt, if it is going to cause a problem in
a garden it is going to cause greater problems when using it for
building! The sand will have been washed.

+1

In my previous bungalow, we were right on the coast, up a steep hill
straight from the beach. In winter the windows would be crusted with
salt from the SW gales, and balls of spume would blow across the
garden. Also, I used to bring carloads of seaweed up from the beach
and put it straight on the garden as a mulch around shrubs etc, with
no attempt to wash it. The salt deposited on the garden by winter
gales and with the seaweed did no harm, although foliage got burnt,
but that's not quite the same thing.

Old 07-02-2019, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

As for a previous warning on salt, if it is going to cause a problem in
a garden it is going to cause greater problems when using it for
building! The sand will have been washed.

+1

In my previous bungalow, we were right on the coast, up a steep hill
straight from the beach. In winter the windows would be crusted with
salt from the SW gales, and balls of spume would blow across the
garden. Also, I used to bring carloads of seaweed up from the beach
and put it straight on the garden as a mulch around shrubs etc, with
no attempt to wash it. The salt deposited on the garden by winter
gales and with the seaweed did no harm, although foliage got burnt,
but that's not quite the same thing.

Maybe that's why Jersey Royals today have lost much of their flavour -
no natural salt from the seaweed which used to be used as a
fertiliser/mulch! :-)

Regarding salt in builders sand, it may depend on the source. If you
look under "Consists of" here
https://www.greenvaleproductsltd.com/builders-sand-tonne-bag-156-p.asp,
it's a bit ambiguous as to whether this particular sand contains salt or
not. There is also ample possibility of confusion when many merchants
specifically list "builders sand" and "Washed sharp sand". It tends to
suggest that the latter comes from the sea and required washing. Not
sure about the former, though!

--

Jeff

builders sand instead of horticultural sand jw 111 Texas 15 24-08-2005 03:46 PM
Best for beds and borders martin United Kingdom 0 15-12-2003 05:39 PM
seasonal borders/10ft thistle! Niall Smyth United Kingdom 3 20-09-2003 10:03 PM
Sand sand and sand kcchin Gardening 8 15-06-2003 05:20 PM
Edging for curved borders? will United Kingdom 2 19-03-2003 10:32 PM