Old 16-02-2019, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default cutting up seed potatoes?

I am reading this:

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edi...r-potatoes.htm

"Cut the seed potatoes into 2-inch chunks that have several eyes on
them. Small potatoes can be planted as they are."

- Really? cut them up? It always looked to me that the shoots came out
of one end and the roots from the other, so if you only had half a spud
would it still grow?

TW
Old 16-02-2019, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , TimW wrote:

"Cut the seed potatoes into 2-inch chunks that have several eyes on
them. Small potatoes can be planted as they are."

- Really? cut them up? It always looked to me that the shoots came out
of one end and the roots from the other, so if you only had half a spud
would it still grow?

Both shoots and roots come from the eyes, and both can come from the
same one. In extremis, one eye per chunk is all you need.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 16-02-2019, 04:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/02/2019 14:31, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article , TimW wrote:

"Cut the seed potatoes into 2-inch chunks that have several eyes on
them. Small potatoes can be planted as they are."

- Really? cut them up? It always looked to me that the shoots came out
of one end and the roots from the other, so if you only had half a spud
would it still grow?

Both shoots and roots come from the eyes, and both can come from the
same one. In extremis, one eye per chunk is all you need.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

curioser and curioser!
I seem to remember my Dad or someone saying 'plant them eyes up' (or it
might have been down), but from what you say it wouold be either, or
neither way.

TW
Old 16-02-2019, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , says...

I am reading this:

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edi...r-potatoes.htm

"Cut the seed potatoes into 2-inch chunks that have several eyes on
them. Small potatoes can be planted as they are."

- Really? cut them up?

Yes. Though bought seed-potatoes are generally so small you can only
cut each one in two. If you saved larger potatoes from your own crop,
they can be cut into more pieces.

Sprout them before you cut them.

My grandfather always did this then dipped each cut piece in wood ash
(cold, dry) to coat the raw surface, which he claimed repels slugs and
prevents rot. So I've always done the same.

It always looked to me that the shoots came out
of one end and the roots from the other,

You can't have looked very closely. Any "eye" on the potato will
produce both roots and shoots.

https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf16754589.tip.html

Janet.

Cutting haulms off potatoes Ed United Kingdom 6 24-08-2009 10:43 PM
cutting back on cutting back Cereoid-UR12- Gardening 0 23-09-2003 01:04 AM
Seed potatoes Ron United Kingdom 13 25-02-2003 06:42 AM
Got my seed potatoes - now what? Sarah Dale United Kingdom 2 05-02-2003 11:47 PM
Fancy seed potatoes (Cambridge) Nick Maclaren United Kingdom 1 30-01-2003 01:27 PM