GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Servicing a Countax C600H (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/215918-servicing-countax-c600h.html)

[email protected] 24-02-2019 07:21 PM

Servicing a Countax C600H

The grass is starting to grow and I haven't serviced the mower yet.
Apart from changing oil and filter, a general check and clean, and a
blade sharpen, what else do other owners do?
I have some slop in the steering, which seems to be caused by the fit of
the steering pinion in the quadrant, although there doesn't seem to be
much wear. Can the lower steering shaft bearing housing position be
adjusted to minimise the slop?

Chris Green 24-02-2019 08:05 PM

Servicing a Countax C600H

wrote:
The grass is starting to grow and I haven't serviced the mower yet.
Apart from changing oil and filter, a general check and clean, and a
blade sharpen, what else do other owners do?
I have some slop in the steering, which seems to be caused by the fit of
the steering pinion in the quadrant, although there doesn't seem to be
much wear. Can the lower steering shaft bearing housing position be
adjusted to minimise the slop?

Without knowing make and model how are we supposed to know? You
haven't actually told us it's a ride-on mower but (using my psychic
powers) I assume it is because it has some sort of steering.

--
Chris Green
·

[email protected] 24-02-2019 09:26 PM

Servicing a Countax C600H

On 24/02/2019 20:05, Chris Green wrote:
wrote:
The grass is starting to grow and I haven't serviced the mower yet.
Apart from changing oil and filter, a general check and clean, and a
blade sharpen, what else do other owners do?
I have some slop in the steering, which seems to be caused by the fit of
the steering pinion in the quadrant, although there doesn't seem to be
much wear. Can the lower steering shaft bearing housing position be
adjusted to minimise the slop?

Without knowing make and model how are we supposed to know? You
haven't actually told us it's a ride-on mower but (using my psychic
powers) I assume it is because it has some sort of steering.

Errr, what on earth caused that outburst? It's a Countax C600H, as I
said earlier.

Chris Green 24-02-2019 09:32 PM

Servicing a Countax C600H

Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 20:05:35 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

wrote:
The grass is starting to grow and I haven't serviced the mower yet.
Apart from changing oil and filter, a general check and clean, and a
blade sharpen, what else do other owners do?
I have some slop in the steering, which seems to be caused by the fit of
the steering pinion in the quadrant, although there doesn't seem to be
much wear. Can the lower steering shaft bearing housing position be
adjusted to minimise the slop?

Without knowing make and model how are we supposed to know? You
haven't actually told us it's a ride-on mower but (using my psychic
powers) I assume it is because it has some sort of steering.

The clue is in the title!

Yes, oops, but I'd gone past that when I replied! :-)

--
Chris Green
·

Gripper 27-02-2019 04:09 PM

Servicing a Countax C600H

wrote:

The grass is starting to grow and I haven't serviced the mower yet.
Apart from changing oil and filter, a general check and clean, and a
blade sharpen, what else do other owners do? I have some slop in the
steering, which seems to be caused by the fit of the steering pinion
in the quadrant, although there doesn't seem to be much wear. Can the
lower steering shaft bearing housing position be adjusted to minimise
the slop?

Recently I cleaned the air filter on my mower, and it's transformed
from a pig to start to a pleasure to use. Never thought there was an
air filter, never mind that it needed a clean!

[email protected] 27-02-2019 06:42 PM

Servicing a Countax C600H

On 24/02/2019 19:21, wrote:
The grass is starting to grow and I haven't serviced the mower yet.
Apart from changing oil and filter, a general check and clean, and a
blade sharpen, what else do other owners do?
I have some slop in the steering, which seems to be caused by the fit of
the steering pinion in the quadrant, although there doesn't seem to be
much wear. Can the lower steering shaft bearing housing position be
adjusted to minimise the slop?

I can now answer my own question about the steering adjustment. The
bolts that hold the bottom steering bush to the chassis sit in slotted
holes so, once loosened, the bush housing can be tapped towards the
quadrant to improve the engagement. It's a very quick job and, with a
bit of grease has made a noticeable improvement.
I was going to tidy-up the steering pinion with a file (and also reverse
it) but I couldn't get it off the shaft. From the diagrams it only seems
to be key-ed on but (I think) the shaft needs to come out of the bottom
of the chassis to be able to tap the pinion off, and that needs the
machine raising quite high - too much work for the time being.