Old 28-02-2019, 09:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hedgehog Hibernation Over?

No sign of hedgehogs here despite the warm weather. I had half expected to
see one.

Old 28-02-2019, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bill Davy wrote:

No sign of hedgehogs here despite the warm weather.Â* I had half expected
to see one.

not seen (or heard) any in the garden for years :-(
not even seen any squished ones on the road

Old 28-02-2019, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/02/19 11:08, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 10:10:21 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Bill Davy wrote:

No sign of hedgehogs here despite the warm weather.Â* I had half expected
to see one.

not seen (or heard) any in the garden for years :-(
not even seen any squished ones on the road

Try putting food out for them. We went from zero to 3.5 hedgehogs in a matter of
weeks last summer.They only appeared when it was dark. We photographed them with
a cheap Lidl game/trail camera.

3.5? Was the 0.5 the hedge or the hog? ;-)

--

Jeff
Old 28-02-2019, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bill Davy wrote:

No sign of hedgehogs here

First wasp sighted here
Old 28-02-2019, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/02/19 12:14, Andy Burns wrote:
Bill Davy wrote:

No sign of hedgehogs here

First wasp sighted here

We had a queen wasp in the house in January, and another a couple of
weeks ago. ;-(

Not sure where they are coming from. The first could have been
hibernating on a log that was brought in from the log store, and the
warmth woke it up. But the second wouldn't have been as we hadn't
brought any logs in.

--

Jeff

Old 28-02-2019, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bill Davy wrote:

No sign of hedgehogs here despite the warm weather.* I had half expected
to see one.

not seen (or heard) any in the garden for years :-(
not even seen any squished ones on the road

Try putting food out for them. We went from zero to 3.5 hedgehogs in a matter of
weeks last summer.They only appeared when it was dark. We photographed them with
a cheap Lidl game/trail camera.

Careful doing that, it's how we got another cat.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
Old 28-02-2019, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Saw a small white butterfly in the garden yesterday. presumably it had
mistaken the war spell for spring. next door's cat saw it shortly
afterwards...

Not sure If I'm glad or sad about the last bit.

Mark Rand
Rugby
Warwickshire

Old 01-03-2019, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 08:54:55 +0000, Bill Davy wrote:

No sign of hedgehogs here despite the warm weather. I had half expected
to see one.

We have hedgehog shit in the side passage.
[Better than in the back passage, I suppose.]

We would like to feed them but don't want to encourage rats and cats.

Last year we put out a little cat food, sited the wildlife camera, and got
pictures of a little cat.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old 02-03-2019, 09:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David" wrote in message ...

On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 08:54:55 +0000, Bill Davy wrote:

No sign of hedgehogs here despite the warm weather. I had half expected
to see one.

We have hedgehog shit in the side passage.
[Better than in the back passage, I suppose.]

We would like to feed them but don't want to encourage rats and cats.

Last year we put out a little cat food, sited the wildlife camera, and got
pictures of a little cat.

Cheers

Dave R
-----------------------------------

I have a translucent plastic container about 12" square I hacked a hole at
one end, big enough for a cat's head or a hedgehog, and put the cat/hedgehog
food in a small bowl at the far side and put the plastic tub inverted over
it. Plonk something heavy on it. I feed my cat indoors though he views
mice and rats as food supplements. Birds too, sadly.

If a very small cat gets the food sometimes, they'll grow out of it. And no
very small cats round here, just bruisers.

----------------
Sadly using Microsoft Live as my news reader so cannot indent "replied to"
message :-(

Old 02-03-2019, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/03/2019 18:25, David wrote:
On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 08:54:55 +0000, Bill Davy wrote:

No sign of hedgehogs here despite the warm weather. I had half expected
to see one.

We have hedgehog shit in the side passage.
[Better than in the back passage, I suppose.]

We would like to feed them but don't want to encourage rats and cats.

Last year we put out a little cat food, sited the wildlife camera, and got
pictures of a little cat.

I put out assorted bird food: largely sunflower seeds, chopped peanuts,
suet pellets and dry mealworms. All stuff that the hedgies love but
nothing of much interest to any of the cats, either mine or visiting
mogs. When I don't have hedgies visiting, the leftovers are happily
eaten by the birds who share my garden.

--
Best wishes, Serena
Insert witty sig here
Old 02-03-2019, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/03/2019 15:43, Jenny M Benson wrote:
On 02-Mar-19 02:55 PM, Serena Blanchflower wrote:

I put out assorted bird food: largely sunflower seeds, chopped
peanuts, suet pellets and dry mealworms.Â* All stuff that the hedgies
love but nothing of much interest to any of the cats, either mine or
visiting mogs.Â* When I don't have hedgies visiting, the leftovers are
happily eaten by the birds who share my garden.

(Hello Serena, I *did* see you there!!)

Hello Jenny!

Not attractive to cats, I'm sure, but such stuff down at hedgehog level
would be very encouraging to rats,Â* wouldn't it?

Yes, I think that anything a hedgehog would eat would also be tasty to a
rat. The feed I put out is generally cleared up pretty quickly the
following morning (if not eaten by a hedgie first) by a mix of
starlings, magpies, woodpigeons, along with the odd blackbird, robin and
sparrow.

I have a wildlife cam watching the feeder overnight and I've sometimes
seen a mouse helping itself but, so far at least, I haven't seen any
sign of a rat.

A hedgehog (1) has appeared in the garden here occasionally and I have
put out cat food for it, but only when I knew it was actually in the
immediate vicinity.

Last spring, I had some holes cut in the fences between my garden and my
neighbours' gardens (with my neighbours' enthusiastic agreement). A few
weeks later, a pair of hedgies arrived and regularly visited my garden
each night. Later in the summer they vanished though but I'm hoping
they will return this year. This is one of the reasons I'm putting down
food which will attract birds (who I'm only too happy to feed) rather
than the neighbourhood moggies.

(1) I use the singular because I've only ever been aware of a single one
at any time, but as sightings have been separated by about 10 years,
almost certainly not just one hedgehog!

Best wishes, Serena
If all goes well, this year's drama will be next year's anecdote
(Humphrey Littleton)

Spider mites, over and over and over Jonathan Sachs[_2_] Gardening 9 09-08-2007 05:37 AM
frog hibernation burky Ponds 2 17-10-2005 09:28 AM
WARNING. Mlck Manford is working for SNH The Hedgehog and other wildlife killers. Martin Rand United Kingdom 2 02-05-2003 12:56 PM
Speaking of Hogs, when did you see your last hedgehog? Annabel United Kingdom 19 07-04-2003 12:08 PM
[IBC] mame out of hibernation Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 02-02-2003 05:07 PM