GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Canna seedlings (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/215974-re-canna-seedlings.html)

Jeff Layman[_2_] 21-03-2019 12:51 PM

Canna seedlings

On 21/03/19 11:53, Chris Hogg wrote:
About fifteen months ago I bought some Canna lily seeds (Indian shot)
on Ebay. I only got around to planting them a few weeks ago (serious
life-changing events intervened). Rubbed the seeds on sandpaper to
erode a bit of the outer coating, then soaked them for 24 hours,
before planting them singly in a seed tray. Two came up fairly quickly
(I'm waiting in hope for the rest!), but they look nothing like what I
was expecting, nor what I can find for images of Canna seedlings on
the Internet. https://ibb.co/5Frs7FD Does anyone recognise it? (please
tell me it's not Japanese Knotweed, although it looks a bit like it!)

Looks like a dicot to me, not a monocot (which canna is). It might be an
Ipomoea of some sort (or a related plant - hopefully not greater
bindweed!!!). See
http://www.nomadseed.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Ipomoeabatatas.jpg.

--

Jeff