Old 21-03-2019, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mice?

On 16/03/2019 17:01, Chris Hogg wrote:
OK, thanks both. It looks like my makeshift cold frame isn't going to
be a safe place for seedlings unless I can mouse-proof it!

what I have done in the past is to make squares of fine metal mesh
(Macsalvors sell it!) that sit on the top of the pots, you just bend the
corners down to stop them falling off.

I used to grow Helebores and the mice used to dig all the seed up and
hide them in all the other pots we had Helebores in everything!

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall
Old 21-03-2019, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/03/2019 19:03, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 18:36:20 +0000, Charlie Pridham
wrote:

On 16/03/2019 17:01, Chris Hogg wrote:
OK, thanks both. It looks like my makeshift cold frame isn't going to
be a safe place for seedlings unless I can mouse-proof it!

what I have done in the past is to make squares of fine metal mesh
(Macsalvors sell it!) that sit on the top of the pots, you just bend the
corners down to stop them falling off.

I used to grow Helebores and the mice used to dig all the seed up and
hide them in all the other pots we had Helebores in everything!

Thanks Charlie. Good suggestion. Don't know why I didn't think of it!
I have some standard 15mm (½ inch?) wire netting - would that do, or
are the holes too big? I know mice have the reputation for being able
to pass through the eye of a needle...

I didn't measure the holes but at a guess they were about 5mm, no idea
if bigger would work, but the light weight small mesh does, never had
problems after deploying it, a single sheet makes loads of squares for 4
and 5" pots

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall
Old 22-03-2019, 12:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

1cm mesh wil probably keep out the mice bit not shrews who are also
partial to seeds.
Old 22-03-2019, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/03/2019 23:07, David Hill wrote:
1cm mesh wil probably keep out the mice bit not shrews who are also
partial to seeds.

Cite?

I was under the impression shrews were obligate insectivores.

My memory of mice suggests a 1cm mesh will stop them, but a 1cm high
slot wouldn't even slow them down.

Andy
Old 22-03-2019, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/03/2019 21:35, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 21/03/2019 23:07, David Hill wrote:
1cm mesh wil probably keep out the mice bit not shrews who are also
partial to seeds.

Cite?

I was under the impression shrews were obligate insectivores.

My memory of mice suggests a 1cm mesh will stop them, but a 1cm high
slot wouldn't even slow them down.

Andy

Shrews are omnivores, eating insects, spiders, worms, frogs, mice and
some plants and seeds. The main diet of a shrew is carnivorous, with
shrews preferring a meal of millipedes, earthworms, or birds rather than
nuts and seeds.

Mice blasted mice Broadback[_2_] United Kingdom 42 22-12-2009 08:06 PM
Mice problem with wood stalks bthache Gardening 6 26-03-2003 06:08 PM
mice mick United Kingdom 10 22-03-2003 12:29 PM
Re. Mice Jeffery United Kingdom 0 18-12-2002 10:56 AM
Mice eating crocus Jeffery United Kingdom 9 05-12-2002 06:08 PM