GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Plant ID please - rhododendron? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/215993-plant-id-please-rhododendron.html)

David[_24_] 26-03-2019 02:58 PM

Plant ID please - rhododendron?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:Rhododendronalike.jpg

It looks like a Rhododendron in general habit and leaves but the clusters
of tiny white flowers are unfamiliar.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Dave R

--
Dell XPS laptop running W8.1

Jeff Layman[_2_] 26-03-2019 03:11 PM

On 26/03/19 14:58, David wrote:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:Rhododendronalike.jpg

It looks like a Rhododendron in general habit and leaves but the clusters
of tiny white flowers are unfamiliar.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Prunus lusitanica (Portuguese laurel))

--

Jeff

Stewart Robert Hinsley 26-03-2019 03:12 PM

On 26/03/2019 14:58, David wrote:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:Rhododendronalike.jpg

It looks like a Rhododendron in general habit and leaves but the clusters
of tiny white flowers are unfamiliar.

Any suggestions?

Cherry laurel (Prunus laurocerasus). For some years I was calling this
false rhododendron in the absence of knowledge of what it really was.

The way the leaves are held differs between this and rhododendron so it
is possible to distinguish them in the absence of flowers and fruits,
but it takes practice and experience.

Thanks

Dave R

David[_24_] 26-03-2019 06:15 PM

On Tue, 26 Mar 2019 15:12:33 +0000, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

On 26/03/2019 14:58, David wrote:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:Rhododendronalike.jpg

It looks like a Rhododendron in general habit and leaves but the
clusters of tiny white flowers are unfamiliar.

Any suggestions?

Cherry laurel (Prunus laurocerasus). For some years I was calling this
false rhododendron in the absence of knowledge of what it really was.

The way the leaves are held differs between this and rhododendron so it
is possible to distinguish them in the absence of flowers and fruits,
but it takes practice and experience.

Laurel it is, then.

I'll let you and Jeff fight over which specific one. :-)

Cheers

Dave R

--
Dell XPS laptop running W8.1