GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Greenhouse asparagus query (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/216017-greenhouse-asparagus-query.html)

Bertie Doe 06-04-2019 12:45 PM

Greenhouse asparagus query

12 months ago I put 4 plants into the greenhouse. Each plant produced one 3
foot high spear which stayed in the soil until December '18, when it was cut
to ground level.

2 weeks ago, no sign of any new growth and gave ground a good soaking before
departing on hols. Got back yesterday, to find that the 4 plants had
produced 5 spears, ranging in height from 18 to 48 inches

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y0zwhyz240...40298.JPG?dl=0

Q1. Probably a bit too long to be edible but if I cut these back to ground
level, would each plant produce new growth this year?

Q2. Should I leave the plants untouched and hope for a decent harvest in
2020 ? TIA.

David Rance[_3_] 06-04-2019 01:31 PM

On Sat, 6 Apr 2019 12:45:22 Bertie Doe wrote:

12 months ago I put 4 plants into the greenhouse. Each plant produced
one 3 foot high spear which stayed in the soil until December '18, when
it was cut to ground level.

2 weeks ago, no sign of any new growth and gave ground a good soaking
before departing on hols. Got back yesterday, to find that the 4 plants
had produced 5 spears, ranging in height from 18 to 48 inches

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y0zwhyz240...40298.JPG?dl=0

Q1. Probably a bit too long to be edible but if I cut these back to
ground level, would each plant produce new growth this year?

This often happens to me when I'm not able to access my asparagus when
it's growing at its fastest.

The tips will still be edible but the stems lower down will be tough.
You could use the stems in soup for flavouring. If you cut them down now
you'll probably get more shoots this year.

Q2. Should I leave the plants untouched and hope for a decent harvest
in 2020 ? TIA.

If you let them continue to grow it will strengthen the plant for next
year.

I've done both the above at various times and they seem to work.

David

Derek[_6_] 06-04-2019 01:36 PM

Greenhouse asparagus query

On Sat, 6 Apr 2019 12:45:22 +0100, "Bertie Doe"
wrote:

12 months ago I put 4 plants into the greenhouse.

Why a greenhouse? , does very well outside

would each plant produce new growth this year?

Without doubt, but you should not be harvsting any until the plants
are at least three years old, and then just a few.

Q2. Should I leave the plants untouched

see above :-)

Bertie Doe 06-04-2019 03:33 PM

"David Rance" wrote in message ...

If you let them continue to grow it will strengthen the plant for next
year.

I've done both the above at various times and they seem to work.

Thanks David, I'll give them a good weeding and leave them untouched until
next year. Fortunately the local Aldi has some good stuff at a reasonable
price :-)

Bertie Doe 06-04-2019 03:38 PM

"Derek" wrote in message ...

Why a greenhouse? , does very well outside

True I'm a bit lazy and lost some asparagus a few years ago, due to neglect.
With the greenhouse, I'm happy to spend a rainy day, doing a bit of weeding.

would each plant produce new growth this year?

Without doubt, but you should not be harvsting any until the plants
are at least three years old, and then just a few.

Yes, I'll hold fire till 2020.