GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Greenfly on mint (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/216054-greenfly-mint.html)

Emrys Davies 16-04-2019 03:11 PM

Greenfly on mint

What is the best remedy?

Mark Rand 16-04-2019 03:34 PM

Greenfly on mint

On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 15:11:58 +0100, "Emrys Davies" wrote:

What is the best remedy?

Since mint doesn't flower at this time of year (doesn't attract bees),
Acetamiprid is a good choice (in my view).

That's what I used on one of my mint plants a week ago in the form of 'bug
clear ultra'

YMMV!

Mark Rand
Rugby
Warwickshire.

Janet 16-04-2019 05:53 PM

Greenfly on mint

In article , says...

What is the best remedy?

I think my previous reply failed to send. If so; two non-chemical
suggestions I've founbd to work:

Blast them off with the hose pipe, repeat a few days later to repel
survivors.

Hang some peanut feeders nearby to draw the attention of tits to the
free feast of insects. When feeding nestlings tits prefer live insects
to nuts.

For the sake of insectivores' newly hatched nestlings, now is a
really bad time of year to spray deadly insecticide.

Janet.

Bill Davy 16-04-2019 06:16 PM

Greenfly on mint

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message

On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 15:11:58 +0100, "Emrys Davies"
wrote:

What is the best remedy?

Neem oil? Organic, edible, and prevents the aphids being there.
I bought a fair amount (half a litre) and keep it in the freezer between
seasons.

Bill Davy 16-04-2019 06:18 PM

Greenfly on mint

Neem oil. Organic, edible, stops the aphids being there.

I bought a fair size bottle (litre, or half), and freeze it between seasons
in the freezer.

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 17-04-2019 08:06 AM

Greenfly on mint

On 16/04/2019 15:11, Emrys Davies wrote:
What is the best remedy?

Jet them off with plain water, repeat a couple of times, it wont take
long for the natural predators to catch up

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall

Derek[_6_] 17-04-2019 08:57 AM

Greenfly on mint

On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 15:11:58 +0100, "Emrys Davies"
wrote:

What is the best remedy?

As said above, use a soap spray, but repeat at four day intervals to
catch the emerging fly's as the soap does not kill the eggs, three or
four sprays should be enough,

Nick Maclaren[_5_] 18-04-2019 09:05 AM

Greenfly on mint

In article ,
Mark Rand wrote:
On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 15:11:58 +0100, "Emrys Davies" wrote:

What is the best remedy?

Since mint doesn't flower at this time of year (doesn't attract bees),
Acetamiprid is a good choice (in my view).

That's what I used on one of my mint plants a week ago in the form of 'bug
clear ultra'

That's not a good idea for things you eat - soft soap spray (or washing
up liquid, diluted, with a squirt of meths) is far better.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.