GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   The niger seed problem (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/216061-re-niger-seed-problem.html)

Bob Hobden[_6_] 17-04-2019 06:14 PM

The niger seed problem

On 17 Apr 2019 09:49, Another John wrote:
(I may have posted this problem a couple of years ago, but if I did, the
thread soon spiralled off into not-very-useful ponderings!)

Do others have a problem with niger seed detritus? I'm looking to
improve my solutions.

Here's our niger seed feeder station (merely the latest in years of
trials!)

http://tinypic.com/r/atoh9h/9

The hangers are an old hanging basket framework, and the tray is a
builders' mixing tray, resting on the bottom flower basket.

We get _loads_ of what looks like waste, but in fact it's a husk/seed
mix (along with 'bird-waste'), which I am calling detritus.

The birds love to sort through the detritus (as you can see), but it
isn't half a mess! I devised the tray solution because the seeds that
escaped the birds would germinate, and got so thick around the feeder
that the lawn mower would hardly cut them. A few points:

- (Yes - I know that niger seed is _supposed_ to be sterile, but I've
never found that, even though I use a good source.)

- The detritus gets everywhere, despite the tray.

- I've taped over a few of the holes in the feeders themselves, to
reduce the amount being spilled.

- The Contraption blows over in a wind, so it has to be 'nailed' down
with pegs (which are out at the moment, in that picture). This makes
it much harder to move (I mean: I have to blinking well bend over!
Several times!)

I'd like to reduce the amount of detritus, and I'd like The Contraption
to be easier to move. I have a few thoughts for improvements, but
here's a good place - as it were, round the table in the pub -- to air
the topic in case bright ideas spring forth.

Cheers
John

PS You can see goldfinches and redpolls in the picture; waiting in the
bushes are the siskins. This winter I once counted over 50 redpolls and
siskins, who seem to flock together.

PPS Sorry about Tinypic -- infested with ads and click-heres, these days.

We gave up on Niger seed years ago when we turned one feeder into
serving sunflower hearts and the birds then proceeded to ignore the
Niger seed.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden