GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   secateurs recommendations please (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/216070-secateurs-recommendations-please.html)

Bertie Doe 22-04-2019 12:13 PM

secateurs recommendations please

On a similar theme to Chris Hoggs' lopper thread, I'm looking for good
quality secateurs please. Chris prefers anvil but I'm looking for bypass. 2
gardens and an allotment means they get a lot of heavy use. First the
adjustment goes, followed by the spring ...... :-)

Nick Maclaren[_5_] 22-04-2019 12:45 PM

secateurs recommendations please

In article ,
Bertie Doe wrote:
On a similar theme to Chris Hoggs' lopper thread, I'm looking for good
quality secateurs please. Chris prefers anvil but I'm looking for bypass. 2
gardens and an allotment means they get a lot of heavy use. First the
adjustment goes, followed by the spring ...... :-)

I have two Felco ones, and find them good. They are easy to readjust,
and the springs are replaceable.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Bertie Doe 22-04-2019 05:52 PM

secateurs recommendations please

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message ...

In article ,
Bertie Doe wrote:
On a similar theme to Chris Hoggs' lopper thread, I'm looking for good
quality secateurs please. Chris prefers anvil but I'm looking for bypass.
2
gardens and an allotment means they get a lot of heavy use. First the
adjustment goes, followed by the spring ...... :-)

I have two Felco ones, and find them good. They are easy to readjust,
and the springs are replaceable.

Thanks, I'll shop around for prices. I'll avoid the left-handed models :-)

David Rance[_3_] 22-04-2019 06:19 PM

Bertie Doe wrote:
On a similar theme to Chris Hoggs' lopper thread, I'm looking for good
quality secateurs please. Chris prefers anvil but I'm looking for
bypass. 2
gardens and an allotment means they get a lot of heavy use. First the
adjustment goes, followed by the spring ...... :-)

I have two Felco ones, and find them good. They are easy to readjust,
and the springs are replaceable.

Thanks, I'll shop around for prices. I'll avoid the left-handed models :-)

Felco are expensive but worth it. I've had mine for over thirty years.
They last and last ...

Bertie Doe 22-04-2019 09:18 PM

"David Rance" wrote in message ...

On Mon, 22 Apr 2019 17:52:37 Bertie Doe wrote:

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message ...

Felco are expensive but worth it. I've had mine for over thirty years. They
last and last ...

Thanks guys, I've ordered the bypass Felco number2, based on the original
1945 model. As you say, they're a bit pricey but the brambles and evergreen
honeysuckle are rampant this year.

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 26-04-2019 08:14 AM

On 22/04/2019 12:13, Bertie Doe wrote:
On a similar theme to Chris Hoggs' lopper thread, I'm looking for good
quality secateurs please. Chris prefers anvil but I'm looking for
bypass. 2 gardens and an allotment means they get a lot of heavy use.
First the adjustment goes, followed by the spring ...... :-)

My Felco #7's with the rotating handle make light work of anything up to
an inch across, now 35 years old, kept sharp they are a good bit of kit,
mine live in a holster at my side and get used for everything including
plumbing and electrics!

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall

Bertie Doe 27-04-2019 01:46 PM

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message ...

On 22/04/2019 12:13, Bertie Doe wrote:
On a similar theme to Chris Hoggs' lopper thread, I'm looking for good
quality secateurs please. Chris prefers anvil but I'm looking for bypass.
2 gardens and an allotment means they get a lot of heavy use. First the
adjustment goes, followed by the spring ...... :-)

My Felco #7's with the rotating handle make light work of anything up to an
inch across, now 35 years old, kept sharp they are a good bit of kit, mine
live in a holster at my side and get used for everything including plumbing
and electrics!

I tend to wander around chatting to other allotmenteers, so loosing it in
the jungle is possible. It would be handy if Felco had fitted a loop that
would attach to the carabiner on my belt. Ho hum, more expense on a holster.

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall