Old 26-05-2019, 02:34 PM
Registered User

Well this hasn't gone aswell as i'd hoped

Been trying to get the irrigation working in my spare time, but it's been a nightmare.

Firstly the kit I have doesnt come with elbows, so I ordered some off Amazon. But it appears I have a 1/4" US system and everything on Amazon UK is metric 4-6mm. The elbows just pop off when the water is turned on as they are too small. I then ordered some from Amazon US marked as 1/4", but even they were too small. Fortunately returning with Amazon has been painless.

Giving up on the elbows I just used the Tee connectors that came with the system, blocking off one outlet to form an Elbow.

However, now I've fired up the system I can't get it flowing properly. It starts to work, but then after a couple of rows air starts to come in from one of the higher drippers Here's a video to demonstrate:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5mawc28qhz...%2053.mov?dl=0

Where am I going wrong. Should I have run it from the bottom up instead?

My thumbs are sore at this point, so thought I'd seek advice before putting them through any more pain.
Old 26-05-2019, 03:47 PM
Registered User

Well, being a glutton for punishment I rearranged the run so it goes from the bottom up.

Air is no longer being sucked in from the drippers, but I can't get the flow out of all the drippers. About 2 rows (6 drippers) flow, but as soon as I turn on the next row down the water wont reach the highest row.

Water pressure isn't an issue. If I turn the tap fully on it blows the pipe.

I suspect gravity is the issue Whilst the run isn't that long, gravity is effectively making it significantly longer then it is.

I can therefore either switch to a bigger pipe to run up the wall. Or have multiple 1/4" pipes servicing each row or column of pots.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:03 PM
Registered User

For the benefit of anyone else that comes accross this, the solution was obvious. Supply the water from both the top and bottom

I simply added a splitter on my 1/2" supply hose and then ran one 1/4" supply to the bottom of the run and one 1/4" run to the top. All the drippers are flowing now