Old 13-05-2019, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Remind me - hydrangea colour

I know that as a generality, hydrangeas grown on alkaline soil tend to
be pink-flowered, while those on acid soil tend to be blue-flowered. I
assume this is because of the availability of iron and manganese in
acid soils, not available in alkaline ones due to the high pH.

I know that watering hydrangeas with sulphate of iron or sulphate of
aluminium, or even scattering rusty nails around the roots, is
supposed to 'blue' pink-flowering hydrangeas.

But does watering with sequestered iron such as in 'Sequestrine' do
the same job? I'm sure I used to know, but memory isn't what it used
to be...

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall, looking E, Sheltered and partially shaded by trees to the W and SW