Old 28-05-2019, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Coleus

Hi all,

Sorry to barge in but I have been looking for coleus bedding plants. I used to have these in the summer but it looks as if they are either no longer produced or out of fashion or something. I have asked at my three "local " garden centres and told they hadnt seen any for a long time and I visited a fourth today ( further away) they didnt have any either.

Am I too early for them?

Does anyone know where I might get coleus plants for bedding out? I am in SE Cornwall.

I have bought seeds but it says they should have been sown in March but I have put them in anyway.

Thanks for information.
Old 28-05-2019, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/05/2019 12:51, april wrote:
Hi all,

Sorry to barge in but I have been looking for coleus bedding plants. I used to have these in the summer but it looks as if they are either no longer produced or out of fashion or something. I have asked at my three "local " garden centres and told they hadnt seen any for a long time and I visited a fourth today ( further away) they didnt have any either.

Am I too early for them?

Does anyone know where I might get coleus plants for bedding out? I am in SE Cornwall.

I have bought seeds but it says they should have been sown in March but I have put them in anyway.

Thanks for information.

* There are some for sale on Amazon.
* The RHS Plant Finder will probably give you some other mail order
suppliers.
* You might find them under the names Plectranthus scutellarioides and
Solenostemon scutellarioides.

--
SRH
Old 28-05-2019, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/05/2019 13:22, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 28 May 2019 04:51:16 -0700 (PDT), april
wrote:

Hi all,

Sorry to barge in but I have been looking for coleus bedding plants. I used to have these in the summer but it looks as if they are either no longer produced or out of fashion or something. I have asked at my three "local " garden centres and told they hadnt seen any for a long time and I visited a fourth today ( further away) they didnt have any either.

Am I too early for them?

Does anyone know where I might get coleus plants for bedding out? I am in SE Cornwall.

I have bought seeds but it says they should have been sown in March but I have put them in anyway.

Thanks for information.

Can't help with local nurseries or GC's, but available on-line. May
work out slightly more expensive due to postage, or price/postage may
balance out if the plants themselves are cheaper.
https://tinyurl.com/y4xx45gc (do blue ones really exist!?)

There seem to be a lot of photoshopped pictures of plants on Amazon. I
failed to find the place to report them. You'll find different sellers
using the same photograph variously colour-modified. Perhaps sellers are
buying seed from wholesalers and grabbing photographs off the net, but
obviously photoshopped images of flowers doesn't inspire confidence as a
buyer.

Blue coleus exist - they're blue-flowered species. As for blue-leaved,
I'm skeptical, but there are purple-leaved varieties that you could call
blue at a pinch - http://www.rosydawngardens.com

There's someone selling seeds of different colours of Coleus blumei, but
the pictures are of various species - two could be Coleus, two are
Begonia, and the yellow and blue are both the same photograph of what
looks like a Heuchera - the yellow might be real, the blue isn't. (But
they've got a lot of positive feedback.)

--
SRH
Old 29-05-2019, 07:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thank you. I have ordered myself some "jumbo plugs" and they should be here by Friday.