Old 28-05-2019, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Seed compost

I make my own potting compost, so that isn't a problem, but it is
far too full of weed seeds to use for a seed compost. I gave up
on soilless ones when they starting making them out of wood shavings,
because they didn't work, and have been using John Innes ones for a
good many years. They work much better for my purposes.

All I could get around here was Westland, so I tried that. Let's
ignore the details, and simply say that it has been a pretty fair
disaster, I analysed what it was composed of, and am not going to
use it again even in desperation.

I can get some Wyevale's within a reasonable distance of here, or
some Levington's at significantly more expense. Does anyone have
experience of Wyevale's John Innes seed compost?

I really don't want to sterilise my own, as I use 10 litres a year
or so, it makes the kitchen stink, and I don't have room to store
something to do it outside.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 28-05-2019, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:

If it's anything like their ericaceous compost, I'd avoid it. Can't
you take your microwave into the garage and sterilise a batch or three
out there, just for an hour or two, to keep the smell out of the
house? (I actually quite like the smell of microwave-cooked compost!)

Thanks :-(

And, no. The plug is behind a large, over-filled fridge.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-05-2019, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Derek wrote:
On Tue, 28 May 2019 15:57:46 -0000 (UTC), (Nick
Maclaren) wrote:

I make my own potting compost,
I really don't want to sterilise my own,

Have you tried choir or just verminculte, are you trying anything
spwcial in your seed mix?

Using a Micowave, kills the good guys as well as the bad,

I use the same mix for seed as well as potting on,
I will stick to shop bought bag, and then bulk it up with sieved
homemade compost, mixed with vermiclite, handfull of sharp sand and
the same of chicken pelletts works for me

My compost has too many weed seeds for that - it's excellent for
everything otherwise, and I haven't bought manure or general
fertilisers in several decades. I really don't want to have to
start buying a lot of things I would not otherwise use. I have some
vermiculite I was given, and plenty of sharp sand, but they don't
contain any nutrients.

My problem is that I sow a lot of seeds that can take a long time
to germinate, I don't have (or want) a mist propagator, and judging
the amount of water requires predicting the weather. I find that
true John Innes seed compost works best. I have tried coir-based
composts, and find them pretty hopeless.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.